MultiMedia v 0.0

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by jurassicpc, Feb 19, 2003.

1. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

Hi!
    The discussion that started in General Discussion under the thread Video Forum? is being moved to this thread. Basically, this is a mini forum on video editing, digital editing and streaming video; hence the name MultiMedia. There are no resident experts. Everyone with an interest is welcome.

I'm starting this off until the real Video or MultiMedia Forum comes into place, but please remember we'll be learning and exploring together; hence v 0.0. At the moment I don't think any of us could handle Multimedia 101:D

Let me recap: my system is old but updated and working well. The editing software I use is Adobe Premiere 5.1. There are much later versions out but I doubt my system would gain any benefit from using them. I'll update Premiere when I build new system. Until then, it works! I use Pinnacle's miro video DC30 Plus for my capture card.

Since I started working with my video editing system, there have been tremendous advances in software and video capture devices. One example is the firewire devices. I don't know much about them yet, but think they should be explored before anyone decides on system and software.

With Premiere 5.1, I'm able to capture vhs, svhs and other analog video formats. The capture card digitizes the video footage and then I can go to work. Premiere offers a titling system too. It allows addition of titles, lower third graphics (identifying tags) and all kinds of text overlays. The number and type of transitions offers a wonderful range of effects and layers when shifting between frames or scenes. Premiere also gives me the option of saving to various analog video formats (vhs, etc.) as well as digital formats.

My system set-up was not cheap when I had it built in 1999, and is probably still not cheap. I would only recommend getting something this high end if you're seriously into the video editing business or if you need to produce broadcast quality output.

For home movies and videos there are a number of less expensive packages out which allow the user to produce a pretty good quality product. Staples, OfficeMax and computer stores have a number on offer. I'll do some surfing to come up with specific names and specs. Feel free to add and research yourselves. We'll learn more that way.

TwoRails: Nonlinear can be cheaper than the traditional editing suite linear method. It can also be much easier and require less expensive equipment. Because of capture, rendering, or encoding workloads however, you need a fast processor. I'm getting along with a 350MHz processor and plan most of my rendering and encoding for overnights. The same goes for when I copy DVD movies -- encoding takes a long time at my processor speed. Again, I plan it for overnight usually. You also need a hard drive that can achieve a constant 7200rpm at least, to prevent frame dropping.

If you're considering purchasing video editing software, ask yourself what your goal is. If broadcast or commercial videos then high-end software and capture devices are your best road to get results people will want to pay for. If you want to produce better home movies or videos, or just aren't sure, some of the digital editing packages offered by Canon (and others I can't recall at the moment) will most likely be the better investment. You should also take into account additional hardware, if any, your chosen software will require.

I know firewire has made a difference in video editing/capture. Does anyone have hands on experience or research experience to help us learn more?

Audio will also play an important part in video and multimedia production. If you know even a little about it, you will be helping out. Anyone with video streaming experience and/or reference resources for internet video streaming, please speak up.

Again, I'm just kicking this off until the formal video forum is set. Letting me be the only research/reference/resource would be extremely one-faceted and detrimental. So jump on in -- it's wide open.:D If we don't ask questions, we won't find answers.

'Can we talk?' LOL

2. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Jurassicpc, why don't you contribute with an article now that Mr. Drisley is requiring writters? You seem to be knowledgeable in this matter.

3. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

Not sure my knowledge base is deep enough or current enough. I'll give suggestion serious thought. I just don't want to mislead anyone. Thanks,
    Andrea

4. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

I've been trying to set-up streaming on a sever. Mostly research stuff at this point after experement 1 downloaded, not streamed. :p

Audio? I'm working on a review on an audio program right now. ;)

Speaking of software, I've had some experience with Premiere 6.0 (all digital, so far).

5. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

Re: Re: MultiMedia v 0.0

Can you point me to reference source or website for more info on video streaming? Or help me understand the process? I know it exists and that's about all. Do you work on audio alone, audio with video, or both? Keep me posted on audio program review please?

What type of projects have you edited with Premiere? I've been editing my shows that were cablecast on neighborhood access channel. I want to set up a site where families can log on and watch episodes of their choice at time of their choice.

Hope you stay subscribed and vocal, you broaden the knowledge base. Thanks
    Andrea

6. Force Flow

7. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

checking those sites out now. Thanks:)

8. Mac Medic

Mac Medic

Firewire was created as a capture device for DV. Analog input requires a video capture card to digitize the media where as DV is digitized in the camera so all you need is a fast way to transfer the digitized footage to the PC, hence firewire. The prerequesite fast HDD still applies as dropped frames do occur with firewire. You can also use FW to preview your work from many NLE programs either in the camera of through the camera to an external monitor.

9. Force Flow

I've never gotten a dropped frame when using firewire. If you have a fast enough comp, it's very rare that it ever happens.

10. Mac Medic

Mac Medic

But it does happen. While capturing for Blood Bath we lost a few frames here and there with a dual 800 G4, so it can happen. It's just something you have to try to prevent with a fast HDD thats all.

11. Force Flow

What software were you using to capture the film?

12. Mac Medic

Mac Medic

We capture video using a number of programs. Final Cut Pro, Premier 6.0, i-movie and final cut express. It's not a problem, it's quite normal. Dual 800 G4, G3 powerbook, 800mhz i-book, amd 1600+ and 1.7 p4 all have dropped frames. Only occasionally, but it does happen. Bear in mind we capture to FW drives, Not to internal IDE HDD's. Like I said, it's not a problem, maybe 1 frame in 20-30,000.

13. Force Flow

That's not bad. Especially for external drives.

14. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

If I'm understanding you correctly oem_guy_2002, if I'm still working with analog as well as digital footage, firewire would not capture analog footage?

15. Mac Medic

Mac Medic

Thats correct. For Analog you still need a capture card.

16. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

Would it be feasible to set up a system with both a video capture card and firewire?

17. Force Flow

Yes. The video capture feature may be a little expensive, though.

18. jurassicpc

jurassicpc

Planning for my first build. Already have video capture card and software, would move it to new machine.

Have been checking out sites you recommended. Have also searched for user groups with RealSystem G2 experience. So far no luck. If I'm understanding material I've been reading correctly, I need to have a virtual site to upload to after I've created the file. I tried downloading software FreeSSH to set up virtual site, but I'm lost as far as activating it. Am downloading Helix Producer Basic now to practice creating video streaming.

Video editing was a lot easier in the good old days:D :D

19. Force Flow

20. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The great thing about Firewire is that it's not single purpose like an analog video capture card. It's an all-purpose high speed interface. I have a customer that uses Firewire hard drives to transport data from his office to his home and back - and when you are talking about 20 gigs of data it's the fastest way to do it.