Sticky Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Cooncester, Feb 20, 2006.

1. The Cooncester

The Cooncester

This thread can be used to talk about any of the latest movies you've seen, or DVDs, etc.

The last movie I saw in theatres was When a Stranger Calls and it was a horrible attempt at film making. Only the last 10 minutes could be called even slightly scary and the rest is just boredom.

The last DVD I've watched is Darkman, the early '90's Sam Raimi movie. I love that movie because it combines so many genres. You have the monster flick, romance, science fiction, action, superhero, comedy, etc. I think it has a lil bit of everything.

Oh well... hopefully somebody will reply.

2. HAL9000

HAL9000

I saw Curious George last Saturday.... I prefer the book.

3. The Cooncester

The Cooncester

I've been thinkin' about going to that. Haven't really heard anything about it that swayed it either way on the good or bad charts. I'll probably wait till DVD.

V for Vendetta is probably the only movie I feel like spending the expense to go see it in theatres within the next month.

4. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

The last movie I saw in theaters was King Kong. I rented Flight Plan on DVD last night. I thought it was good.

I rarely go to the theater. I prefer the home theater experience.

5. kram

kram

Last time I went to the theatres was to see Star Wars Episode III - now THAT was a movie that was worth seeing :D

kram

6. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

I disagree -- I thought the plot was contrived and not well-developed at all. I found it very strange that Anakin essentially said, "I will give up all my principles and everything I've ever stood for without so much as thinking the decision over, on the basis of a 20-second dream sequence."

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was in theaters around the same time, and many didn't like it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, I read and loved the books, so that might have been part of it.

The last movie I went to see was The Chronicles of Narnia. I thought that was a very good one. The Transporter II was also fun, although nowhere near the level of Narnia.

7. Darth Revan

Darth Revan

Just finished I Robot, that movie is great.
    Last one I saw in theatres was Doom, I enjoyed it, not MUCH of a stoyline and it strayed a bit from the game but I still enjoyed it.

8. RayH

RayH

The last movie I saw in a theater was "I Robot." I won't go to theaters any more; too expensive and too many clods. I won't pay $10 to listen to an idiot holler on his cell phone. I won't.

I do watch a lot of DVDs, mostly from Asia. I get Region 3 distributions from my local Chinese video shop. I get movies otherwise unavailable in the US.

9. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

That's a remake of a 1979 movie of the same name. The original is a lot better than the remake.

It seems as though Hollywood is running out of original ideas as there has been a lot of remakes in recent years...Hollywood movies like "Assault on Precinct 13", "Flight of the Phoenix", "War of the Worlds" and "The Manchurian Candidate"...Asian movies like "The Ring", "The Grudge", "Shall We Dance" and "Dark Water". The big Hollywood studios haven't done anything really good or original in years. You have to look to the smaller independent studios and foreign films to see anything good nowadays.

I recently saw "Wallace and Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit", "The Constant Gardener", "Flight Plan", "Levity" "Lord of War", "Gozu", "One Missed Call", "Wasabi", "Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior" and "Kung Fu Hustle" on DVD (we don't go to the theaters anymore) and enjoyed them all.

:) Cricket

10. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

I only go to the cheap theater ($2 tickets) so I never see the new movies as they come out. I recently saw "Wallace and Gromit" and "North Country" (based on a true story and filmed in MN).

11. Statica

Statica

The Constant Gardener was quite good, watched it on DVD recently.

Am waiting for a few releases like the Da Vinci Code, X-3 and Superman Returns (for old times) .. I'm extremely selective about the movies I watch, and go to theatres only if the movie warrants the full experience and most movies today dont.

12. Litespeed

Litespeed

Doc, What did you think of "North Country"?

13. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

The story itself is a good one, but I didn't think the movie was edited very well. The begining is kind of slow and jagged, and it takes a while to come together. It gets a lot better though, and the middle really pulls you in. Then all of a sudden, *bang*, it's over, ending pretty abruptly.

14. The Cooncester

The Cooncester

I knew that about When A Stranger Calls! ;) You seem to know your movies.

15. avx

avx Live for the moment

The last one I saw was Underworld 2: Evolution. Im a sucker for werwolf and vampire movies, I dont care how horrible, I will still go and see it. I really enjoyed the film though, lots and lots of action

Im looking forward to "Ultra Violet"(because Im a big Milla fan), and "Silent Hill". Of course I was looking forward to Superman, but I dont know why they are calling it "Returns", its a remake, the only real differences will be that there is a little more talking between kal-el and jor-el, and it might have more of a modern twist, but people have been saying for years that IF they ever made this movie, it was going to bomb. They approached countless actors...Nick Cage, Ashton Ketchup, DiCaprio, Dean Cain...All of them read the script and turned it down.

Im also looking forward to the next batman flick...As for DVD, the last good one I saw was Ong Bak, that guy is amazing.

16. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

I can sum up the Star Wars III plot like this:

Action...main character almost gets killed
    Interlude: "I love you", "No I love you more"
    Action...violence, mayhem - bad guy sets up good guy
    Action - more violence and mayhem... an important character or 2 dies
    Action - even more violence and mayhem...plot lines for 1st SW laid with some good set up shots

the end....give George Lucas all your money for the action figures, bed sheets, toy lightsabres, McDonald's happy meals and the DVD...

I'd like to see V for Vendetta....I hear that it is an interesting allegory (intentional or not) of the way some people see the current political landscape of the USA

17. The Cooncester

The Cooncester

I couldn't agree with you more on Star Wars Episode III.

V for Vendetta's comic that it's based on is great and it definately can reflect the current and the future of the USA's politics.

18. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Recently?
    I bought and watched :
    Kung-fu Hustle and Young Frankenstein (I've completed my Mel Brooks collection).
    I downloaded rentals from Movielink.com and watched :Hannah and Her Sisters, Batman Begins,Beauty Shop, and Constantine ( that last was better than the reviews made me think).
    movielink que : Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Mullholland Dr.
    Going to download later : The Constant Gardener, March of the Penguins (They're sale items, total cost for both rentals, less than $4.).

19. sgtspector

sgtspector

I know this will get someone going but the best movie I've ever seen is Braveheart. Then comes a bunch of others second. I don't really care about the historical accuracy of it. It was still great.
    The last movie I saw in theatres was the Wedding Crashers. I thought it was pretty funny.
    The worst movie I ever saw was Leprachaun until just the other night when I rented the movie "Virgin" On Demand. At least Leprechaun was (I think) supposed to be tongue-in-cheek horror. This movie Virgin was the worst piece of tripe ever produced. I had to watch it though since me and two co-workers actually appeared in it. Even my performance couldn't save it. LOL

20. David M

David M Techphile.

Has anyone seen Firewall? Is it any good? Harrison Ford is usually in pretty good movies.