messed up my linksys router & can't connect to internet-need help

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by wilbur, Feb 2, 2011.

1. wilbur

wilbur

Hello-I have a Linksys wrt54gl router with dd-wrt on it.
    i have it hooked up to a cable modem.
    i don't know much about inner workings of dd-wrt because someone else set it up for me.
    i do know this: person who set it up was very knowledgeable and most of the time this router just plain works and works very well.
    have had it for years but realized i was still using default username/password so today i went into router setup & changed that.
    And now i can't connect to the internet at all using the router.
    I am using direct connection to cable modem to post here.
    I am using Win 7 64bit home premium os.
    can anybody tell me what i'm doing wrong here.
    I also changed my user/pass back to default just to see if that would work-no luck.
    heading to work very soon so i will check back later and thanks in advance-i'm really pulling my hair out on this.

2. Spools

Spools

Just to be clear, you changed the login and password to the router or to the wireless access? Do you normally connect to the router wired or wirelessly?

3. wilbur

wilbur

I thought that I was changing the login to the router but I'm not really sure. I have been using this wired to my main computer but was trying to get wireless to work, which is why I was messing with it.
    I'll try to check on that login.

4. wilbur

wilbur

ok - here's what happened. I actually was changing the login credentials that my ISP requires, not the router login. now,since I'm on cable I don't even need an ISP login, but I did when this router was set up a couple of yrs. ago & I had DSL. I tried to 'back out' of this login but I couldn't cause the router setup wouldn't let me-it kept saying 'you MUST enter a username'. It was giving me that message because it was set to PPPoE instead of DHCP Auto. Changed that & I'm back online again. Still haven't changed the router login, I think I'll wait until later to do that.
    Spools, I thank you very much for asking me if I really changed the router login - that got me to take a closer look at my problem.
    I do wonder why the router worked for the last 5 months using PPPoE.
    I just got lucky on this. I still feel that I'm stumbling around blindly every time I have to dig into the settings on this thing.

5. Spools

Spools

Not a problem. There are plenty of helpful network people around here so feel free to ask questions. Sometimes we just need some perspective to figure things out.