Member Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryker, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Stryker

Stryker It can never be too quiet

NOTE: New gallery coming soon!

Hiya PC Mechers,

In the interest of keeping the Members Photo Gallery alive, I'm going to do my best to start up a new one and maintain it. If you would like to have a photo of yourself in the Members Gallery, please have a look at the guidelines below:

•1• PHOTO SIZE & FORMAT
    Please make sure the photo you send is 400 pixels wide by 300 pixels high in ".jpg" format. If you don't know how to resize/crop an image, I don't mind helping out. But for those that know how and have the resources to do so, please save me a little bit of work and send the proper size/format. The images on the gallery page will be FORCED to 400px x 300px so anything else will become distorted and rather "un-pretty".

•2• PHOTO CONTENTS
    Please don't send me pictures that I can't post. The pictures you send for the gallery should follow PC Mech rules and must not contain offensive or controversial material. The only exception to this is me, as I myself am quite offensive and this can't be avoided in my photo.

•3• REAL PHOTOS ONLY
    I would ask that you only send a photo that actually has YOU in it, seeing as that is the whole purpose of this gallery... to see what members look like (yes, this goes for everyone... cough HAL cough cough ;)).

•4• VIEWING THE GALLERY PAGE
    In an effort to try and keep the page as managable and clean as possible, I'm going to be using a little bit of Javascript on the gallery page. If you don't have Javascript enabled, the page won't work for you. If you have a problem with the page once it's posted, please let me know ASAP and I'll try to correct any issues. I've tested it with recent browser versions (I.E., Firefox, Netscape, etc...) but some other/older browers may have issues that I'm unaware of. I can't fix a problem if you don't tell me it's there!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    To get your photo on the PC Mech Members Photo Gallery page:
    Send all photos to <font color="Blue">stryker(at)cogeco.ca</font>

Please include your PC Mech name in your message (i.e. Stryker).
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •​

PLEASE NOTE: THE PAGE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A COUPLE MORE DAYS. I want to build up a collection of a few photos before posting the gallery page itself. I don't think anyone will be interested in a page with only a picture of me on it.

I would also recommend that you send me a Private Message through PC Mech once you have sent your photo to the address above. I wouldn't want to miss anyone. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM or e-mail me (address above).

Thanks in advance for everyone's cooperation, and SEND ME YOUR PHOTOS! :D
    Stryker :)

Moderator edit:
    Click here to go directly to the gallery.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  2. mairving

mairving

Why worry about the picture size? I would just install gallery and have it resize it for you.

If you need some webspace I can provide it for you along with gallery/

3. Stryker

Problem isn't just resizing... it's dimensional too. If someone sends me a photo in portrait orientation, or with some strange dimesions and I resize it to 400x300, it's going to distort and look awful. I don't mind doing a bit of tweaking if I get a photo that needs it, just a request to avoid extra work.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I'm using photobucket for image hosting (at least at first anyway) and the page itself along with all the scripting and styles is only about 5k. Perhaps down the road I'll ask for a bit of real-estate, but for now I should be alright.

Thanks mairving,

4. HAL9000

HAL9000

I've stated what it will take.... until then....I guess there won't be any photo or humor.

5. Eaglefeather

Eaglefeather

Just an observation re: size.

400x300 is kind of wierd for a portrait image. It seems to me to be very unusual to make a portrait wider then high. Should not the size be 300x400? Otherwise you are going to have a whole lot of dead space on each side.

Cheers,
    Rob

6. Stryker

My point exactly. The photo should be 400x300 (i.e. Landscape), but if someone sends me a portrait oriented photo (which I don't want) it will distort when changed to landscape (400x300). The images will be forced to 400x300 by the page configuration regardless of what size or orientation they are.

I'm all for humor HAL, but the whole point of the page is to show pictures of members. If everyone sent me a joke photo (yes, I remember what your old one was), what would be the point of a member photo gallery? Sorry if this point of view upsets people.

7. David M

David M Techphile.

I'm sure my face would corrupt a few hard drives.

8. mairving

mairving

Are you using a script for this? It doesn't matter what size the picture is initially with Gallery, you just set the defaults when you set it up. Say you want 3 rows and 3 columns of pictures, you just tell it that when you are setting up the gallery and you tell it what size you want the thumbnails and what size you want the full image and if you want a maximum image size. You also have quite a few styles to choose from. Then you upload the pictures through your browser and it resizes them. You can then add captions or rotate the picture. Quite easy to do.

This way no tweaking is required.

9. HAL9000

HAL9000

Not upset about it at all... I have my reasons for not posting a pic and will leave it at that.

10. Redfallon

Redfallon Resident Intel Fanboy

I'd get your email addy out of that post, the spambots will pick it up :) Try encoding it. Browser will convert the code over and no one will know the difference. I apologize if you've already done that ;)

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  11. Stryker

Not using script for the resizing, but the image will be a specified size (i.e. 400x300) on the page and the script replaces the image "src" depending on the name you click on.

It actually sounds like a pretty cool piece of software and I've now downloaded it to give it a try. I still don't see how it will remove the need for tweaking though. If I get a photo that's portrait, sure it will rotate it automatically but then I have a photo on it's side. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm trying to keep a consistent size so the image transitions without pushing things around on the page.

Thanks for the help mairving.

12. Stryker

Actually Red, I tried this but the forum text editor wouldn't let me do it. I had the "@" sign and the "." encoded but every time I previewed it the symbol would return. Am I doing something wrong?

13. Redfallon

Redfallon Resident Intel Fanboy

I tried entering it here, even using the {code} brackets and it still translated it to your email addy. If the symbol returns it's still coded correctly, just your browser showing the text as it's supposed to I think. Although I noticed like you said even the WYSIWYG editor showed the corrected characters, I don't know if it should or not? :confused: Kinda like trusting that the fridge light goes out when ya close the door, I guess, lol.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  14. mairving

mairving

It won't automatically rotate as with most photos you won't need to rotate them. You just upload the picture, then you can add the caption, rotate or flip it, hide it or highlight it, pretty easy to do too. If you have a lot of photos to do, then you can use Gallery Remote that will allow you to add captions, rotate or resize photos before you upload them. You won't need the Remote unless you have a lot of photos.

15. james8547

james8547

Another vote for Gallery. I personally have my pics displayed using that code. Setup took less than half an hr. I could share the link where I have the pic album (to see a sample of the Gallery), but I don't want random strangers looking at it. I can PM if you want.

16. Stryker

Member Photo Gallery - NOW AVAILABLE!

Well, here goes nothin'!

I've got a few pictures in there (thanks guys for submitting them) and I hope more people will get them to me once they see the page and all the beautiful PC Mech members.

Take a look at the link below, and PLEASE TELL ME IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THE PAGE!!!! I only have access to a couple of machines to test it and I'm not positive how it will go with all the different configurations out there.

Here's the link:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~stryker/pcmech/photogallery.htm
    (I know, it's long but I let my domain run out to find a new host.) ;)

By the way... as respectable as I may look, I assure you all the other pictures on my system are too embarassing to post! :D
    Enjoy everyone, and keep sending your pictures to me!!!

17. lil Jimmie

lil Jimmie HOT ROD

Looks good!!! But we need a few more mugs!

18. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

I will be submitting mine as soon as I get off my lazy butt to get someone to take a picture of me. ;)

19. nocturnx

nocturnx The Boneshaker

You dont even need to get off your butt, hook up your webcam and ill take a picture of you on my monitor lol. That would be pretty funny.

20. lil Jimmie

lil Jimmie HOT ROD

With a gadget freak there is no need to have someone else...set the damn timer and get it submitted. :)