Medieval 2 , how is it?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Benchmarks' started by arthur666, Nov 15, 2006.

1. arthur666

arthur666

More specifically, how does it run on your sysytem? After Oblivion and FSX, my computer is looking a bit long-in-the-tooth. I loved Medieval 1.

2. ScurrilousPrune

ScurrilousPrune

It plays fairly well on my system. I have a very similar setup, only real difference is a 7600 GS and a little less ram than you, i have the same processor and all.

The cutscenes have short jumps during the historical battles, but overall the battles dont lag or seem choppy at all. Most fun I've had playing the battles since Shogun a couple years ago. And it seems like it takes more skill to win most of the time. I like it so far, good replay value too.

Now I wonder how Gothic 3 plays on a system like yours or mine. I know the 3200+ is the MINIMUM requirement for it. I don't want to buy it and have it end up being a useless chopfest.

3. arthur666

arthur666

Good to hear. I'll pick up a copy as soon as I finish slogging thru Neverwinter 2. That's a good one, btw.

4. awhitley

awhitley

M2tw

I can't begin to say enough about this game. Mind you, I was a big fan of Med 1 and was looking forward to this game.

Some folks have complained about blatantly bad AI - I have yet to experience that.

Firstly, my current PC is a very low-end one. So low-end Im embarrassed to post the specs and call myself a gamer! :eek: I'm in process of building one. ;)

Secondly, get this game! If you like Chess, you'll love it. If you like Checkers - go get Lord of the Rings or something :D

5. arthur666

arthur666

Good analogy. I was discussing Medieval 1 with a friend and talking about how it made me realise why Chess has been such an important game throughout history. It was a very simplified version of a Total War PC game! But was as much a training tool to help commanders think more strategically as it was for fun. I guess most people know that already, but the computer game made it very obvious to me.

6. Eriol

Eriol

I think you might have that reversed, total war seems like a simplified version of chess to me :) it just has better graphics.
    Chess has a lot of subtlety and strategy involved

7. whr2206

whr2206

I like it...

The graphics are a nice boost... especially since the first Medieval game. The campaign map looks a little more ghetto, however.

The AI is actually a bit smarter than in Rome, but it has some bugs. For instance, sometimes the AI will siege you... then sometimes they won't bother actually using their siege equipment.. and theyll force you to attack them. (Turning battle timer on might solve this, however I had it off for my first campaign simply because I'm meticuluous in my sieges lol)

Another thing... Sometimes on crusades your troops will abandon for no reason. Maybe Piety has something to do with it, but even with a pious general... my whole army deserted before they got to the Crusade site.

The 1.1 patch might have fixed these bugs, but I haven't played the updated version long enough to know if these problems have been solved.

Also, another exploit I noticed. If you want to stop a war you can become a faction's vassal, then the next turn break it off without any adverse consequences. One time I was able to break it off then get a normal alliance with them w/o military access.

The added videos for assasination and spying missions are nice... they do get a tad bit redundant though.

The added soundtrack disc was also nice.

Overall... its not a huge leap from Rome, but still worth the money if you're a Total War fan. :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  8. arthur666

arthur666

I finally picked up a copy. The upgrade to the battle sequence is huge and well appreciated. But, I think the strategic map is way too confusing for me. It's hard to make out the borders and your units. Lots of useless detail to make it pretty. I liked the old boardgame style of medieval 1. I've only played about 3 hours. Maybe it'll grow on me. Other than that, great game, just like medieval 1.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007