Media test failure,check cable:no bootable device,insert boot disk and press any key

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by steveveloz, Oct 21, 2006.

1. steveveloz

steveveloz

i booted up my computer and it does a system check. well, after that it reads : Media test failure, check cable, no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key. i honestly think that the hard drives are the problem. bios recognizes the harddrives and cd roms but neither seem to be working. i can hear the cds spinning in the cd drives but that is about it. the hard drives dont seem to be working. the little led light (green harddrive light) never turns on. i connected the red sata cables to the mother board. sata0 and sata1. the cd roms are connected one being master and the other slave. i tried the other jumper, cable select. the bios recognizes the hard drives only under ide settings. when i change it to sata, it does not recognize them anymore. i dont know what to do. i just dont want it to be the mobo. i doubt it. i checked the cables they are all new and crisp. i think i missed an important step enabling the hardware, somewhere. what do you think?

mobo intel dg965wh, 2 gb patriot memory, pentium 4 3.0, two - 160G|WD 7K 8M SATA2 WD1600JS hard drives.

2. newbuilder14

newbuilder14 Not so new

Intel boards may say media failure for the key fact that nothing is on the hard drive - happened to me. Insert the Windows CD and reboot.

3. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

4. newbuilder14

newbuilder14 Not so new

Also I forgot to add, put the CD drive as the first boot device.

5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

Yes.. If you have two optical drives and have the 80pin cable set jumper to cable select...