Maybe a silly question?????

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by CMT, Jul 15, 2003.

1. CMT

CMT

Just wondering running Windows ME on my computer sister inlaw moved in but anyways diffrent story has a old laptop running Windows 95 floppy is shot no cd wanna try to fix her audio drivers on her laptop it talks of direct cable connection and its lpt1 isnt that the printer port???? is there a way to hook this computers without routers and hubs and so on ....thnks for any replys:)

2. yellohut

yellohut

yes there is... it's built into windows and is called direct cable connection. It is slow, but it's fine for moving small files (like drivers) although i wouldn't recommend it for anything larger than 50MB. It could take hours.

DCC uses the printer ports. You need a special cable, but they're like $7-$10 at Wal-Mart (or a computer store)

you need to make sure that your parallel port is set for bi-directional in the bios first.

and in windows make sure it is installed. (if not go to start/setting/control panel then click on add/remove software. under add/remove windows components it should be listed under communication i believe.)

then run DCC on the two computers, there is a help file for it in windows. If you need more help, just let us know.

3. Iman74

Iman74

$7 to $10, wow that's cheap. Everytime I come across a linksys cable, I always find it to be $20 (w/out software).

4. CMT

CMT

Ok cool so I will run to store tomorrw so its called a linksys cable??? cool beans thanks a bunch:)

5. LawyerRon

LawyerRon The Gavel

Isn't it just a serial cable? Just wondering. Sounds like the old Laplink type of setup but with different software.

6. bailey

bailey

you need a nulmodem to use the serieal ports, works good that way too

you can get one at radio shack