Making one cat-5 jack work for multiple connections

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by tomster2300, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tomster2300

tomster2300 I like monkeys

I'm moving into my dorm and it has one cat-5 jack in the wall. I want to plug both my computer and xbox 360 up simultaneously. Would a simple hub do? (I think I'm thinking of the right thing). Am I able to split that connection?

2. rfleming

rfleming

Heya,
    My buddy had the same problem. Careful on what your school uses for its network. Many schools now check for the number of ips coming from each jack. If it is greater than one, the system kills the jack. Happened to my roommate when he tried this with a simple hub. My school uses cisco to maintain its systems.
    The hub will allow for both to use the jack at the same time. But is your school has the one computer per jack policy, it may cause problems. If your school does not have the policy, then it will work for you.

3. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

A better choice would be to get a multiport router. They are not much more than a quality switch.

4. mojo

mojo Ceiling cat is watching!

You definitely don't want a hub since that technology is old an inefficient. A switch will work, if the school doesn't care how many devices are hooked up to one port. If they do, you'll need to get a router.

5. Elvyn

Elvyn

I have the same issue at my school, but we are can only have one device per port. Will a router work in my case, as I know a switch will not?

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

A router will work unless they have a way to detect them and prohibit them.

7. tomster2300

I haven't bought anything yet, but I plugged my xbox straight into the jack and it wouldn't work. I tested the connection through the xbox's "connection test" and it failed on the mtp (something like that, I'm not in my room atm). If the it won't work when you plug it straight in, will it not work with anything else?

8. hobey19

hobey19 usual suspect

i don't know if your school is anything like mine (xavier), but they require us to log on using cisco clean access every time, thereby eliminating any way to use xbox/360/ps2/etc without breaking any of their rules. you may just want to talk to the IS support people and see if they have any way implemented for doing this

craig

9. tomster2300

You have to log in each time if you use the wireless or a school computer on campius, but in the dorms you don't.

10. hobey19

hobey19 usual suspect

do they have any type of Network Agreement that you have to accept? look through it and see if it allows for multiple devices in the room. i still think your best bet is to talk to you IS support people.

craig

11. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

They may have the MAC address of your computer registered - and won't allow a different MAC on that port. You can try a router, but you will have to clone your MAC into the router.

This may be in violation of the regulations. You need to do some local research.