Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux OS and Software Assistance' started by shadowpr, Jan 24, 2008.

1. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Ok. I downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 a while ago, and only tried it on a old laptop. I wasn't really impressed, but that could be cause the laptop was old and a piece of junk.

But now today, I see that there's a ubuntu 7.10, and after reading the article on the main page about mint, I'm curious again. I also saw a video of beryl. Not even sure what that is. It looks like something that you install after either ubuntu or mint, is that right?

I'm downloading both now.

Does anyone have a preference? Which would be easier to use for a Windows user? I never had to use a command line, unless using DOS back in the day counts, but even that was minimal.

I also want to know if there is a such thing as 64 bit support for them?

Thanks for helping a newbie out. Now let's see if I can get over to the dark side. (I think the force is strong with these distributions.)

2. cmillar6

cmillar6

Beryl is installed by default in Ubuntu 7.10, if you have a supported graphics card and the proper drivers installed all you have to do is enable it.

If you looking for the easiest transition to Linux from Windows PClinuxOS is the distro you are looking for. Ubuntu is good but is still not as polished as PCLinuxOS. I have used this distro for over a year now and have not had to use the command line once..

PCLinux OS does not come in 64 bit however I believe Ubuntu does.

3. Computer Hobbyist

Computer Hobbyist

I haven't tried it yet, but the Mint review has me curious. I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on my main desktop and it is working just fine.

I don't think either Mint or Ubuntu 7.10 would be much fun on an old system though. Gnome is easy for any modern computer designed for WindowXP or later, but don't try it on that 600 mhz PIII with 256 meg of ram gathering dust in the corner.

This weekend I am going to try xubuntu 7.10 on my old server currently running Freebsd. xubuntu is a version of ubuntu running a lighter desktop (xfce) and apps for older machines.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Kubuntu 6.06 runs fairly well on my old K6-2/500 with 256 ram.

5. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Well I trashed my old laptop. I plan on trying these on my current build:

P5K
    E6750 @ 3.8
    2x2gb DDR2-1000
    8800gts 640

6. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Does anyone know of any good tutorials on how to get started?

I'm probably going to see if I can run off the cd for a while, then I might just buy a new hd if I start to like it?

Does beryl instal on mint?

Anyone know about the 64 bit thing? Will they fully see my 4gb of ram?

7. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Well, I'm not sure why, but I can't get either cd to boot up. I get an I/O error with Mint, and with ubuntu, it gets to the screen where i select to start or instal, and then the screen goes black, and nothing.

Any ideas? Or am I just destined to use Windows.

EDIT: I tried them on a different computer, and Mint won't give me a error on that one, but it will just freeze after i choose to start it. And ubuntu says i need to try the 32 bit version on that computer. So I'm stuck.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  8. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

I got Mint 4.0 to load up, and am typing this using the live cd.

I'm not sure if I get the full effects by using the live cd though. Do I have to install to get the full effect?

Any good tutorials out there? Seems like there a lot of options and a lot of ways I will need to customize.

9. DSCHIEF

DSCHIEF

here's an intro
    http://linuxgazette.net/137/lazar.html

just google "mint" AND "linux"

also pick up a good Linux Reference book

this is one of the best all around guides out there.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runlinux5/

10. Blitz

Blitz

Mepis

I would say to try out MEPIS. I did and its great. Ubuntu is good too i used to have it. But i had some hardware issues with it. (Ubuntu). But with Mepis EVERYTHING works. Well for my compaq presario c500.

11. Computer Hobbyist

Computer Hobbyist

Am I the only one who has noticed that all the recent Linux distros are running darn near everything out of the box? I think we are currently enjoying an OS that has come of age.

12. brizey

brizey

I have ubuntu 7.10 on my main machine (dual boot with XP) and Mint 4.0 upstairs on the old P4. Both run great. Mint was easier.

I did have PCLOS on this machine, but could not get the nvidia drivers to work, and didn't feel like spending a lot of time on line working on it. So I switched to uu7.10. I still had trouble--I had to add another repository to find the drivers. I am now wondering if that is the problem I had with PCLOS.

Everyone is hot on PCLOS, but I think really it just has a nicer control panel. Once you get things set up that is not that relevant. For me the whole point is simplicity. Get it working and use it for basic tasks. For example, if my computer is off, and all I want to do is surf the web, I'll boot up ubuntu and call it a day.

13. brizey

brizey

Ubuntu does come in 64-bit. It has an AMD64 specific version (which I am running).

14. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Well I've been playing with Linux Mint for the last 2 days. Installed it on my main hard drive right next to vista.

I must say, it seems complicated so far. Trying to figure out how to instal programs, and uninstall things that I don't want is a little confusing. So was trying to figure out drivers, but that's finally done after 2 days.

Hopefully I'll start to get the hang of it soon though.