Linux Mint - Too many choices in boot menu

Discussion in 'Linux OS and Software Assistance' started by shadowpr, Feb 7, 2008.

1. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

I don't know what I did, but some how, when I restarted my computer after using Mint, I see the choices to boot from, and all the linux ones are repeated. There are at least 4 choices now, and then I have to scroll down to see Vista. :confused:

Any ideas how to fix this? And how to make Vista the default?

I hate to admit it, but Linux seems to be kicking my butt. :eek:

EDIT: It looks like one choice is for generic, and one for server. I tried to get it to load, and it wouldn't load at all. Neither one worked now. I just get a little popup that says my video needs to be set up. I do the best I can with that, then it goes back to a black screen, and freezes up on me.

EDIT 2: I managed to get into Mint somehow. I then edited the boot menu. I just deleted the choices that said server. I also go windows to start on default.

Any ideas about what those server choices were about? And do IK have to delete them anywhere else? All I did was get rid of the option to choose them, and make it so I don't see them, but I'm sure they're still somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. kilgoretrout

kilgoretrout

I haven't used mint before but you typically get new entries in the boot selection screen when you install a new linux kernel, either through an update or otherwise. This gives you the option to boot the old kernel if the new one doesn't work for your hardware.

3. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Hmm. Not sure if I somehow did that.

All I know is that one said server and one said generic. I deleted the entry that said server, and was able to use the generic one perfectly.

Would I have to add an entry for Windows safe mode there too?

4. kilgoretrout

kilgoretrout

You should already have an entry for windows. You can't configure the bootloader to boot into windows in safe mode AFAIK. Here's a discussion of the problem and a workaround on the ubuntu forum in case you need to boot into windows safe mode:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=422361

I've used this method and it works fine. However, I've never been able to F8 at just the right moment to send windows into safe mode when booting from a linux bootloader.

Re your menu entries for generic and server, I'm fairly certain that came from the installation of a "server" kernel. If you have a copy of your old /boot/grub/menu.lst file with the entries for server and generic, post it here. You can tell exactly what's going on from that file.