life span of blank dvd discs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bhome83, May 7, 2006.

1. bhome83

bhome83

i was just curious cuz i bought a 25pack of memorex dual layer dvd+r's today for $50, and would like to know how long these discs usually last? are they of the same quality of store bought dvd discs? i noticed on the back cover of some store bought dvd's it says at the bottom dual layer so was wondering if they are the exact same discs im buying as blanks? do blank dvd discs last longer than blank cd-r's? thanks for the help boyz and girlZ!!!

2. RJ

RJ

Hi,

store bought DVD are not the same as blanks. Blank DVDs are made to be burned, store DVDs were pressed.
    Dual layer just means that they have 2 layers and a overall capacity of 7.95 GB. But as with CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R, the DVD+R DL and DVD-R RL are blanks, whereas the commercial ones are pressed.
    The commercial ones should last longer.

High quality blanks should last a few decades, but since these media is pretty new, nobody can say for sure. I have DVD+R from 2002 and they still work well. My oldest DVD+R DL is only a year old, though.

Memorex' DVD+R DL should be good quality and last long. You can also use DVD Identifier to check the manufacturer ID, then we can at least say whether they are good quality or not.
    Good quality DVDs can be expected to last long.

RJ

3. bhome83

bhome83

cool, thanks RJ. yeah, i bought some verbatim DVD+R blank dvd's, and just bought some memorex DVD+R DL blanks as well. I guess if i keep them in a protective sleeve they should last longer. then again, in 10 yrs they will probably have some new ultra super duper HD dvd's or something. one last thing though, ive been reading up on dvd+r and DVD-R and still don't understand the big difference between the two. im using DVD+r. what specifically is dvd-r used for? sounds like dvd-r is just an older version or something.

4. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

+ and - R are simply two incompatible formats that perform the same task, much like the upcoming battle between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (the high definition movie formats) which will be coming to a PC near you as well. I hate format wars, consumers in general hate format wars, will they ever learn???

From what I hear, "+" media is compatible with more DVD players and that it what I have experienced with mine. My player refuses to read "-" media.

The brand on a disc can be deceiving as well. The AfterDawn Forums are dedicated to CD and DVD media and they are an excellent resource. Verbaitim Data-Life+ and Taiyo Yuden seem to be the most popular brands. The oldest disc I have is a Verbaitim CD-RW that came with my Plextor burner four years ago. It has been abused to no end and looks like it was run over by a car (... because it was...) but it still works.

5. peekaboo

peekaboo

i don't know much about cds/dvds but i can tell you this much.
    don't think that if you burned something onto a disc you guarantee having it forever.
    if it's important, burn it to a disc, keep it on your hard drive and back up your hard drive.
    i tried copying pictures off a disc that was not that old (a couple of years maybe) and some of the data was corrupt.
    result = heartache and headache.
    i also once accidentally erased my data partition.
    result = lots of heartache and a big headache.