Laptop problem

Discussion in 'Mac OS and Software Assistance' started by EvoKyle, Nov 30, 2007.

1. EvoKyle

EvoKyle

I was given a Mac Powerbook G4 for free, however it has a couple issues that are keeping me from being able to use it...

first...The battery will not stay in the slot, but I am ordering an AC adapter so that I can dock the laptop for the time being...

second (the biggest problem)...the hinges that hold the screen to the laptop are both broken, so the screen is just held on by the wiring.

so my question is, what can i do to fix the hinges? ive been checking eBay for some replacement hinges but no luck so far. is there a website someone might know of that sells parts for this laptop?

any help would be great.

2. hitchface

hitchface

Unfortunately, not a lot fixes a broken laptop.

I am not entirely familiar with the construction of Apple laptops, but they might sell extra hinges directly as replacements. I understand that they can be quite expensive (as far as hinges go) and they are a pain in the butt to put in, but it sure beats buying a new laptop.

About the battery. Is it just that the latch that holds it in place won't do its job? Might be a worn spring, or simply broken plastic.

3. EvoKyle

EvoKyle

yea i found some hinges on ebay...

and after looking more closely at the battery, its just a broken tab so the battery keeps popping out of place

4. hitchface

hitchface

Good! Just be sure when you are replacing the hinges to be very careful. So long as the ribbon cable stays intact, you are good to go.