Kind of dumb question about SSD and new build

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by 11290slk, Feb 17, 2012.

1. 11290slk

11290slk

Getting ready to build a new desktop (1st one in about 4 years) and want to use SSD and 2 additional HDD's. Have built multiple machines in the past but none with SSD.

Do I just install the SSD by itself, load the OS (Win 7) and then install the HDD's after the OS is loaded or do I go ahead and install everything and then just load the OS to the SSD.

Sorry for such a dumb question but I'm new to the SSD thing. Planning on installing a 128 SSD for OS and programs. Pricing is just not that much more for the larger size.

2. Staren

Staren

Someone else might post who has more experience with them, but as I understand SSDs, they read just like any other hard drive to the BIOS. So either way would work.

3. 11290slk

11290slk

Thanks. That is what I understood also from what I've read, and should be able to do it either way.

4. jdeb

jdeb

There are two scenarios really but one of them depends on the chip-set of the motherboard. If you go with a Z68 board, it supports Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). This technology allows you to use an SSD (up to 64GB) for hard drive caching. This is setup along with the OS. SRT will speed up the overall performance and make your spin drive faster as well.

The most expensive but best performance scenario is to use a larger SSD (120GB or larger) and install the OS and applications on it and have your spin drive as a data drive. This scenario is not dependent on any chip-set. If money is not an issue, get the largest SSD you can afford.

AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review

5. 11290slk

11290slk

Thanks. The second scenario is the one that I had intended to use with a 128 SSD drive and a couple of HDD's (one for data and the other for backup of the first).

Haven't really decided yet on a MoBo or processor just yet. Not a gamer (unless you count solitaire) so don't need a super high power system, just above average. Just like the idea of the SSD for OS and programs.

6. jdeb

jdeb

Your welcome. :)

If you give us a budget and a little more descriptive use, we would gladly spec out a build for you. Also, tell us if you prefer Intel or AMD. If you want to research it yourself, post your choices with links in this thread and we will double check it.

7. 11290slk

11290slk

No real budget in place, it will just cost what it costs.

I am thinking that I might go AMD (this one AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor) this time. Last build was an Intel Core 2 Duo, 6600, 2.4 ghz and an Asus board, 4gb ram, running Win XP Pro.

I do some photoshop work but other than that not a lot of heavy duty stuff. I just usually try to build something that is near to the top 30% of the best available at the time so that it will continue to be a decent system for a few years.

Still using WinXP Pro but just bought a new laptop with Win 7 so I could get used to the new OS. Kind of anal about backing up my drives in the current system. Have a primary HDD with 3 partitions besides the C: (one for the wife, one for me and a catchall partition for things common to both of us), then a backup for that drive and then I have a larger drive to further back up those partitions.

Take a lot of photos. Couple of years ago scanned all of the prints that we had and ended up with 27,000 + 6,000 copied slides. Just archived most of my digital pics from 2001 to present and am currently at 22,000 files with at least 8,000 to go. Always tell people, I don't take pictures, I take memories.

Just my current story, sorry for so long.

8. jdeb

jdeb

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

10. jdeb

jdeb

11. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

search for the Samsung 30nm DDR3.. that stuff is beastly and if you overclock it does it very well... and best of all its CHEAP...

I just built a rig this morning for my boys using that board and a 910e and I am building another this afternoon with a 980BE... very nice setup and the board is a beast...

12. jdeb

jdeb

Yes that board is incredible:D. Funny you mention that, I am currently testing that memory by the way;) it is just as impressive, if not spectacular. I want to hook up with you maxrat when I am in Indiana if that is possible. Send me a PM

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  13. MaxRat

Amazon had that ram just Thursday for 39.99 for a 4gb x2 kit... same kit is today 99.00 so it went way UP...

My buddy says its like the Old School DDR TCCD from back in the day... very good stuff

That particular Asus board I think is one of the best AM3 boards out there... it is a beast and very solid

14. 11290slk

11290slk

MaxRat, what part of Indiana? I'm in Evansville (at least part of the time - I work part time in Orlando several times a year).

15. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Better than z68? You know me...

16. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

AMD doesn't count, Sarge...... :D

17. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

I know, but when I read words like incredible and spectacular it sparks my interest. ;)

18. rwest

rwest

Sarge how bout you build it, test it against yours, keep the better one then send me the slower one.:) I'll even pay for the shipping.:D

19. MaxRat

I live close to the South Bend area on the Michigan line...

As far as looks, feel and Functionality that Asus M4A89GTDpro/USB3 is very on par with the Z68....

Like I said its really teh Cadillac of the AM3 boards... I havent had another thats as smooth, feature rich in a long time. It's full of options and the only thing really missing is a UEFI Bios..

now if you want to talk about un-impressive... I've got a Gigabyte A75 and a ASRock A55 that i booted up and neither impressed me and both had a hard time POSTing the first couple times and I am still not sure if its the board or the CPUs