Keyboard, mouse not recognized

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Charles, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Charles

Charles

System
    E-machine C1844
    AMD AthlonXP

System had Power supply, motherboard bundle with Biostar M7VIG400 changed. System was booted with non-emachine keyboard and mouse and worked fine. Afterwards my sister got the pc back and used the original keyboard and mouse and system boots but mouse and keyboard don't work and apparetly machine stops at log on. I don't think so, but are keyboard and mouse for e-machine propietary? If not then would doing an F8 along with a repair the way to go?

Thanks.

2. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

What os? PS/2 or usb mouse and keyboard?

3. Charles

Charles

PS/2 mouse and keyboard. Why would it make a difference?

4. ZYFER

ZYFER

did she plug the keyboard and mouse into the wrong ports? you have two ps/2 ports, they must be plugged into their corresponding ports not just any one of the two...

5. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

It shouldn't unless you added special software like Logitech or Microsoft. I work on eMachine's periodically and have had no compatibility issues with my generic keyboard and mouse combo. Do I understand correctly that you replaced the motherboard? Did you reuse the same hard drive with the old os still installed? If so and she is using XP, you'll need to do a repair/install and load all the new motherboard drivers.

6. Charles

Charles

Good observation but no, the connectors are on the right locations.

Yes new mobo and old hd. I didn't installed mobo, somebody else did and I don't know if he did a repair but it works with his keyboard, mouse combo but not with my sisters emachines keyboard, mouse combo.

Yes I think best is to direct my sister to do a repair command.

7. Al Pollock

Al Pollock

We assume that you pluged in the keyboard and mouse before power on or at least rebooted if you did
    AL