kernel programming

Discussion in 'Web Design / Development / Programming' started by erucader, May 18, 2002.

1. erucader

erucader

there are so many programming languages for windows and stuff, but here is my question: what is the actual os written with? once the computer boots, how does it understand the kernel code? also, how can you boot to a formatted drive? what tells it to display the C:\> ??

2. Insanepyro69

Insanepyro69

I also would like to know this.

3. RJ

RJ

It's the BIOS that loads the operating system. No matter which language you use for programming, at the end you get assembly code. And this will be loaded by the BIOS when you start the PC.
    Windows is written in C++ and assembly language.

RJ

4. erucader

erucader

i see, but what is the assmbly language? so the c:\> prompt is part of the bios?

5. DrZaius

DrZaius

erucader,

Assembly (ASM) is the language, that's what it's called. It's based on a set of basic instructions that control the processor. And the C:\> prompt is part of DOS. If you completely wipe your drive and boot it will give you an error, not the prompt.

6. erucader

erucader

what is on a brand new drive then? i have never installed a fresh one before.

7. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

Assembly language is about as close to the ones and zeros of computer speak that you can get. Here's a sample:

mov ax,1234
    mov bl,al
    mov bh,ah
    add bx,03C6

Most people say "Huh?" to that. It is pretty obtuse, but with assembly language you are directly manipulating bits and registers on the processor.

The C:\> prompt you see is from DOS and the command interpreter, COMMAND.COM. When the computer starts, the BIOS gets thing moving, sees what peripherals and components are attached to the system, but can't really do much more. It thus has to look for an operating system to boot from, on either a floppy, a CD-ROM, or the HD. That is why, if you leave a floppy in the drive when you reboot, you will get the "Non-system disk" error, and the boot will stop. That's as far as the BIOS can get you.

8. Sunday Silence

Sunday Silence

he he what IT careers would need to know asm? Something tells me I need to avoid them.