Just want to thank XP

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by DragonNOA1, Dec 11, 2003.

1. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

I have not always been the kindest with Windows XP. I never really gave it a chance. Why should I change from Win98 anyway? Windows XP seems so foreign, why should I even attempt it? Those were some of my questions a week ago, but now I can faithfully say that I enjoy and recommend XP to anyone. It hasn't given me a BSOD yet! It is extremely stable and plays all of my games just fine. I changed MOST of the settings to replicate the feel of Win98 and now that I have given this new (to me at least!) OS a chance I love it. I even went back into Win98 to see what I left behind and after a few minutes Win98 gave me a BSOD! ***! Enough with that. I've moved onto Windows XP. I've d/l all the updates, installed some nifty programs (for transparency, etc...) and all-in-all feel proud that I have moved up to a more "grown-up" OS. I feel like I have lost nothing at all, but only gained. Their was no services in Win98 (well I guess there was but not an easy way to enable/disable and read about them), no pretty interfaces, and no true security like what NTFS and an NT-style OS offer. While my Prince of Persia DOS game (made in 1990 or 1991 I believe) runs slow even in compatibility mode, I guess it is something I can learn to live without, since I've already beaten the game many times anyway (you can't have everything). After all that, I am mainly writing to express how happy I am that after a bad (unsigned) RAID/ATA 133 driver install, I was able to use system restore (not in Win98!!!) to fully roll back to my previous stable state! While I'm still keeping Win98 on my other partition (why delete a decently operating OS), I don't think I'll ever go back. I know I'm late to "jump ship" but at least I jumped, and all I can say is I'm not jumping back.

2. imbest123

imbest123 iTroll

I was a windows 98 lover until I got windows xp.

3. bailey

bailey

I have always praised xp also till tonightafter about useing it for 3 years it crashed on me tonight.
    could not even do a repaire install.
    forced to do a full install
    lost everything
    still reloading software and will be for a few days
    did have data backed up on another drive though
    I have no idea of what happened eather

4. raftero

raftero

since changing to xp it's been so long since i had a crash i've forgotten what it looks like,hope this doesn't jinx me.

5. Corky

Corky

I agree with all you guys, but I'm still going to do my semi-annual clean reinstall. Even XP will get "dirty", right. Or maybe it's an old Win98SE habit I can't break.

6. morriswindgate

morriswindgate Banned

No crashes in over 2 years. Plug in an old HP Laserjet 4L and go to printing instead of looking for drivers. NTFS (Need I say More). Security (although still lacking in some areas) and a Password that really prevents others from getting in your files.
    No Blue Screens due to VXD problems or hardware glitches.
    Faster execution. And if one knows how to set up a few things, the need for clean installs to get rid of windows problems is gone.
    ALthough MS is still a long way from getting the security issue resolved, as an operating system XP is great and if you can afford it, that next clean install should be XP.

7. newme

newme

ive been using it for two years ,still have not had bsod