Is Win 8.1 upgrade important for anything

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by mike12, Nov 12, 2013.

1. mike12

mike12

I did the upgrade to Win 8.1 a while back, and many items were messed up. I really did not try to fix anything, but just restored the computer to its facory state, since I just got it for the wife. I will try to avoid the upgrade in the future, but my question is, should I get the upgrade or not. Is it necessary or not ?? Thanks, Mike

2. jdeb

jdeb

Depends on what you read or who you ask. Generally, there are some enhancements which make it a little better user transition on a non touch device. At this time, there are some driver issues but assume it will eventually get ironed out. You literally may have to reinstall some driver's and applications but once you get it dialed in, just throw an image out on skydrive or backup drive to avoid future headaches. Recently, 2 out of 3 were a pain in the rear but I did manage to get it where it was stable. Funny thing is, I warned all 3 customers and they decided not to listen to me. The headache was mainly finding the right driver for the particular hardware. Touch pad's on a non touch display laptop are real bad. Lot's of video card driver issue's. It's all over the spectrum from my experience and what I have been reading and hearing.

Personally, I do not care for the OS (8 or 8.1). It's better on a touch device than a Desktop. I suppose I could get used to it but frankly, I am tired of the majority of OS's.

3. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

The upgrade is far from necessary. M$ put it out to try to satisfy people who hated the Windows 8 GUI and its defaults. From a security standpoint, I doubt it's any better. If you stick with 8, just make sure you keep up with critical updates.

4. mike12

mike12

Thanks jdeb and glc for the replies. I think I will avoid the 8.1 upgrade. I agree with most of the people in that I do not like the new GUI either. I guess I am just old fashioned and don't like DRASTIC change that much. I have downloaded Sartisback and it is working great. Mike

5. trulad

trulad

I tried 8.1 and didn't like it , so I went back to Win.8. Then got tired of trying to make things work so I went back to Win.7 Pro where everything works right out of the box. M$ will have to really come up with something great to get me to change.

6. mike12

mike12

Question---I got a message yesterday and another today from Microsoft to go to the store and get Win 8.1. Is there a way to stop those messages ??

7. glc

Wipe the drive and install Windows 7? :D

8. mike12

mike12

Ha Ha..If I knew what I know now.....I would have stayed with Window 7, no doubt.

9. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

Mike, I could say the same thing in a way. If I would have stayed with my first wife, would have saved me the trouble of my other 3 exes in Texas. In the end, they were all alike anyway.

10. mike12

mike12

Hey Sarge, WOW..some people just don't learn from their mistakes. ha ha only kidding. By the way, I love that song, "All my exes live in Texas" by George Strait
    Mike

11. martson

martson

There are a couple of points I find more convenient in 8.1. The Start Screen tiles can be made smaller. This means more can be fitted onto the screen with no scrolling necessary. However, if a Start Menu replacement is used to bring back Windows 7 style menus, this won't be an advantage.

'Shut down or sign out' has been added to the Quick Access Menu (right-click in the bottom-left corner). I tend to use this more than heading for the Charms Bar now.

Other than that, no great differences noticed in usage. I believe full support is only for another 2 years with Windows 8? That might be a reason to upgrade and get settled in with 8.1 if staying with the current operating system.

12. glc

Heh - if there is only going to be support for another 2 years, I'd be inclined to go back to Win 7 and wait for Win 9. M$ seems to alternate good with bad.

98SE - good
    WinME - bad
    XP - good
    Vista - bad
    Win 7 - good
    Win 8 - bad

13. MikeMoss

MikeMoss

Hi

I too upgraded to 8.1 and then restored back to 8.
    I ran into sound issues that a whole day of messing around didn't fix.

Everything else seemed to work, but I didn't see anything that really made it easier to use.

There is still no real customisable start menu, that will let you get a simple list of your commonly used program links accessible from the desktop.

The apps still seem to be very basic versions of the normal stuff like live mail etc.

I'll probably give it another try in 6 months or so when the bugs are worked out but I don't see it as a great leap forward.

Windows 8 has to be one of the dumbest things that Microsoft has ever done.
    I actually saw a story about people returning there computers because they hated Windows 8 so much.

A thank you to the people who created Classic Shell and Start 8.

Without Classic shell I really would look at going back to Windows 7.

But fortunately with it Windows 8 is fast and stable.
    It's just a shame that Microsoft didn't build in an option like that to start with, they would have gotten a lot less static.

Mike

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  14. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

following that flow chart, should Win 8.1 be good?

15. glc

No, it's just an updated 8 that broke as many things as it fixed.

16. rwest

rwest

Here's the part I don't get: Win 8 was designed for use with a touch screen such as a tablet or I-phone when users complained it didn't have a start menu M$ tries to make it better for a desktop with 8.1. So I have to ask, Why even load win 8 or 8.1 if you are on a desktop? :confused: It doesn't work with a desktop:eek: it was never designed for it.....:rolleyes:

17. mike12

mike12

rwest--When you buy a NEW desktop these days, you have no choice of what OS is loaded on the computer. You get Win 8, like it or not.

18. martson

martson

But it does. I use it OK on a Desktop computer with keyboard and mouse. I prefer the Start Screen over the Windows 7 style menus. Having all the most-used shortcuts laid out in a tiled panel the way they are in the new UI is a good and quick way to start programs up. Keeping the lesser-used shortcuts out of the way but easily accessible on the 'Apps by category' screen works for me too.

It may not be the preferred way by some ..or even by many but it 'not working' with Desktops just isn't the case I'd say.

19. glc

That's why you BUILD computers.

20. rwest

rwest

Gotta admit I forgot about that.