is this possible

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by THECOMPUTERN()()B, Jun 19, 2005.

1. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

I have a compaq with windows xp pro, celeron 2.7 ghz, and some other junk. Im getting a new pc and i was wondering if i coulduse the compaq as a dosbox and install windows 95 on it?

2. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Rather than DOS or 95, why not make it a Linux box with something like Ubuntu? Are you intending to use the XP Pro on another machine? Do you have the original disk? I assume it didn't come installed on the Compaq originally.

3. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

i want to make it a dosbox to play old dos games that work really bad on xp pro even with emulators(crashes, slow). I dont have the original disk and dont know where to get it :(. Maybe i have i lying around somewhere

4. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Makes sense. Might want to check to be sure you can get drivers for the hardware. What os was on it originally?

5. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Doubtful. Win95 has an absolute 32gb hard drive size limit, and won't install on processors running faster than 2.1 GHz. You will never find Win95 drivers for most of the components in a newer Compaq.

You could, of course, install DOS 6.22 on it, you won't have any sound or CD support, and your video will be standard 640x480 16 color VGA, and you can use the first 2gb of the hard drive.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  7. ZYFER

ZYFER

your other option is Windows 98, you are likely to be able to find the drivers and it has the same dos capabilties as Windows 95 does.

8. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

not really, i tried to play an old dos game on windows 98 and it kept on crashing, i have another hard drive thats 15 gigs, cant i just underclock the cpu to 2.1 ghz?

9. glc

You can't under or over clock a Compaq. If it crashes on 98, it's going to crash on 95. 98 has the same 2.1 GHz issue but there's a workaround, M$ is going to charge you for the patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312108

If you need a true DOS box, go dig a 486 or a classic Pentium out of a dumpster.

10. Marke522

Marke522

Man I wish I read this post a month ago. I just promised an old AMD 350 mhz to someone at work. They wanted an old pc to play with for the kids to use old software and it was just sitting in my bedroom taking up space. I could have let you have it if I would have known. He's not a real close friend, I was just wanting to get rid of the thing.

I'll keep my ears open for something else, every now and then a real old thing turns up and people just tell me to part it out or throw it away. One guy told me to use his old Gateway as a boat anchor. :D

11. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

LMOA boat anchor lol. I threw out my windows 98 pc(custom built) and i kept my athlon k6 processor and hard drive. I have no clue where to get a mobo and everything else for it. And by the way i overclocked the compaq from 2.7 ghz to 3.1 with no heat issues or nothing.

12. glc

HOW did you overclock a Compaq? I did NOT think it was possible.

13. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

what do you mean i increased the multiplier in the bios

14. glc

That did nothing. The multiplier in a Celeron is locked in the processor. The only way to overclock an Intel processor unless you have an unlocked engineering sample is increase the FSB, which I *know* is not possible in a Compaq bios.

15. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

yes i increase the fsb from 100 to 115 i have a new mobo in the compaq though
    ecs p4vmm2

16. GaryRouth

GaryRouth

Woodland Hills, CA (suburb of Los Angeles)
    Ah - that's why. Sounds like your Compaq is no longer a Compaq, but a home build.

17. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

lol were gettting off topic I WANT TO PLAY MY DOS GAMES lol someone help me out

Edit: so it is not possible for this celeron to run windows 95???

18. glc

You won't be able to declock it low enough (100 FSB is as low as it goes), and I doubt there will be driver support for the motherboard and required devices. If you want to play your dos games, find an older computer.

19. GaryRouth

GaryRouth

Woodland Hills, CA (suburb of Los Angeles)
    . . . if you can't find an older machine to use, and you've tried DOS emulators on Windows XP already (I'm surprised you didn't have better luck with them = they're not bad), you could consider trying adding a Linux distribuiton & try one of the new Linux emulators like Xen. The latest edition of Linux Format magazine has a both a free copy (of course, it's Linux!) of Mandriva (the Mandrake 10.1 core wedded to Connectiva) and files for Xen on their cover DVD. The magazine runs about $12 (USD) or so. You could think of XEN in a similiar ballpark to VirtualPC.
    . . . Gary

20. THECOMPUTERN()()B

THECOMPUTERN()()B

forget it, its not worth the trouble for some old crappy *** games(Dam they are fun though, and they do bring memories). I might find an old computer lying outside in the garbage or something. Well thanks anyway for your help