installing Sonicwall TZ 170 W UNR

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Needtoknow, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

Hello all-
    I acquired this router as an upgrade, but this has been problematic from the get go.
    First, I hook it up as per the instructions and cannot for the life of me access the router to change settings etc
    When I put in the 192.168.168.168 that the disc says is the place- I get a timed out can't connect message. That's problem one-
    I have a Trendnet TEW-432BR as my old router- is the upgrade in terms of speed, wired and wireless, significant?
    Second problem.
    Now I have messed up the static IP in my computer (wired connection-two boxes wired on network and one wireless) But when I go into the Trendnet and get the correct address to re-enter it in my TCP/IP settings box- the windows (XPsp3) program freezes and I have to do a hard reboot.
    I have tried changing the settings about ten times- freezes each time.
    I did a system restore back to yesterday- same problem. I edit the static IP address and as it goes to close to update the settings- the whole system freezes and I can do nothing except hit the power to reboot.
    I cannot even get this box back to where I was before I started trying to upgrade the router.

So- how to access the Sonicwall router settings and why the darnn windows freezes when I change IP settings.
    Any and all help/ideas is muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Hal

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

UPDATE-
    I solved the freezing issue but still can't gt into the router settings to do the install...

Any ideas are appreciated?

Thanks

3. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

update (again)

So I have too many "168"'s in the ip address in the initial post.
    I know better, and my question seems super equipment specific, I think it probably is something in the settings of the router? or windows? that's not letting me in?

Any thoughts/help is welcome...

Thanks.....

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Not in the least. A Sonicwall is an advanced firewall, not a consumer grade router.

5. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

So is it worth installing the Sonicwall? No measureble difference?

Any ideas why I cant open the thing up
    thanks

6. glc

A Sonicwall is major overkill for a small home network. It's also not easy to configure, businesses that use them usually pay a service to handle it remotely. It's a very complicated device that is not intuitive at ALL to work with.

You will need the manual, and you should reset it to factory defaults before doing anything. I also get the impression that it's designed to be connected to a switch, and if you connect a computer directly you need a crossover cable.

7. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

8. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

Thanks glc,
    Yeah, I have the disc with ALL the different (like four) manuals and after reading reviews and such, I could practically operate an airport with this thing. At least my own cell phone service.
    The thing was free to me- a friend's business plans changed and having more money than patience and desire to sell stuff, whatever, gave me the Sonicwall in the box complete.

If I could just "open" the settings page, I think I could set it up to just use as a basic router- leave all the bells and whistles off. It has a lot of tutorial walk through type features etc. The physical set up shows straight from the cable router to the Sonicwall and out to a box, just like my router.

So, if I get into the settings, is it a faster router- will it allow my wired and wireless rate to be faster?
    A friend insists it is, but my feeling is that my card is 10/100 and that's going to be the limit.
    But my friend is an Alienware using networking gamer with more knowledge than I.

And I have reset it by using a paperclip in the hole deal but I still can't "see" the settings page.

Thanks for your help, as always.

9. glc

Like I said before - NO. The wired and wireless speed of the Trendnet is many times faster than your Internet connection anyway. The Trendnet is a 10/100 wireless G, so the LAN speed will be identical too.

Have you tried a CROSSOVER cable - or connecting both the unit and the computer to a SWITCH?

10. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

Okay, so no faster speed- got it.

No, I haven't tried that because I don't know what either of those are. :)

I just hooked it up again to take one more shot at accessing etc, this time it was getting limited connectivity
    I hooked the Trendnet back up.- and windows froze again, as it clears the splashscreen- just stops.
    Ugh.

Please explain the switch and crossover, if you would, but this doesn't seem like it's worth it cause the "hassle" price is enormous.

Thanks again

As it stands- is what I have with the trendnet pretty okay for a home situation like mine??

Thanks, as always.

11. glc

12. Needtoknow

Needtoknow

Thanks glc.

Maybe I will just put this thing on the wantads and take this as (another) step in my never ending edumacation. :)

You've been a really big help (as usual).

Take care.