installing new video card

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by jsawicki, Apr 15, 2004.

1. jsawicki

jsawicki

I bought a pci video card recently and i could not install it. right now i am stuck with onboard and i am unsure about how to install a new one. i did return the video card because i want to learn how to install one before i buy it. I dont know if i need to install the software in a certain order or something. i think i might need to disable my onboard video and that is what i need help with cause i dont know how to do that.

2. agreen

agreen

videocard install

before turning off your pc, go to device manager and removed the device under video display, all you to do is install the card in the pci slot at the point it will disable the onboard video controller, turn it on after make sure you have the cd for the drivers handy to install the drivers

3. jsawicki

jsawicki

that is what i tried to do last time and all that happened was the computer turned on and nothing appeared on the screen. it was just black. i tried several different things but never got it to work.

4. bailey

bailey

you should just set it to vga standard mode first then change the card, then boot and install the software and drivers

5. jsawicki

jsawicki

im confused about vga standard mode. what is it? and that is the weird thing about this is i dont really have a card to change cause my old card is onboard and you cant really take out an onboard card

6. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

What motherboard are you using now? Is your computer a name brand one?

Normally, you have to disable the on-board video in BIOS or by a jumper on the motherboard. Some motherboards will automatically disable the on-board video if a separate video card is detected.

:) Cricket

7. mystvearn

mystvearn Anime:Any-may

Also uninstall the driver & disable through windows device manager. Onboard devies sometimes give trouble.

8. bailey

bailey

windows will and has a standard vga driver it uses before the drivers for the card are installed, it uses just the basic settings.

you just set the adapter to use the windows vga drivers,
    that way when you reboot the computer, it will be useing that driver , then you will be able to install the real driver for the new vid card

it is the standard driver that the computer uses before the system is installed, all vid cards has them built into them.

9. jsawicki

jsawicki

thanks guys i think ill try that and if it doesnt work ill let u know

10. Staren

Staren

Also, one of those simple things peopke tend to overlook. Double check you are plugging the monitor into the new card, and not the port that runs into your on-board video. Just making sure we arn't missing a simple fix.