Installed my brand spanking new CD-RW...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by el_novato, Sep 5, 2002.

1. el_novato

el_novato

....but I'm having problems with the drive. Keep in mind I'm relatively new at this so please bear with me. Ok...this is what's happening...my 2 year old Compaq Presario came with a CD-ROM and a CD-RW. I've decided it's time to upgrade it and so far, I've added a DVD-ROM. Two days ago I bought the BUSLink 48x12x48x CD-RW drive. (Under my device manager it shows up as Lite On). Anyway, after I installed it I tried it out by burning a CD but the E: drive (original CD-ROM) won't read any disks. If I put back the old CD-RW, everything works fine. The new drive didn't come with any drivers. The ribbons are properly connected and they are jumpered as follows:

E: CD-ROM Master
    F: CD-RW Cable Select
    G: DVD-ROM Slave

What could be the problem here? I greatly appreciate any input...I'm ready to put this thing back together!!

2. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Hi el_novato, and welcome to the PC Mech Forums!

How's your IDE config? Are the CD-ROM and the DVD hooked up in IDE1? Is the CDRW hooked up in IDE0 along with the HD?

3. Kamikaze2499

Kamikaze2499

ever think about selling all of that stuff and getting a single dvd-rw drive?

4. el_novato

el_novato

Thanks Nuclear Krusader...

Actually, you've got it backwards...the CD-ROM is hooked up to the HD and the CD-RW and DVD are on one IDE cable...

Kamikaze2499...not really...but how much do u think I could get for a 8x4x32x CD-RW...not much I think! that is a good idea but it never occurred to me...another thing, DVD-RW is currently out of my budget! :p

5. el_novato

el_novato

alright!! I got finally got it to work!! man...I can put it back together now!! in case you're wondering what I did...I jumpered the DVD as CABLE SELECT and made the new CDRW SLAVE. Turned it on and voila!! All three drives are reading discs!! Thanks for your help!!