Im 15. I want $$$$$

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kramer, May 5, 2004.

1. kramer

kramer

I just turned 15 and like any other teen I want some money. Most places here hire at 16. Im looking for any kind of job. I found out I can ref soccer games on saturday and sundays. For that I have to wait till the end of summer. Does anybody know about this. Do I have to take some kind of test. I used to play soccer but ive forgotten some of the rules. I just want some suggestions maybe like the soccer one. I know the regular answers, mowing lawns, washing cars, and that stuff. Im thinking the soccer ref job might be a good way to make some money on weekends i guess.

2. speeddude2000

speeddude2000

nope have no clue

3. pop-tart

pop-tart

dude, im turning 16 in a few days and i'm getting my GED this year so i can go off to get college classes.

i'll attest that there are no jobs until you are 16. you always have mcdonalds.:p

not to mention the states have these ridiculous laws set up making it impossible to get a job...

4. kstatefan40

kstatefan40 Systems Analyst Staff Member

Dude, if you really want money, there are so many ways to do it, if you are willing. I am 14 and make almost $200 per week mowing lawns. I have found many friends that want to get money but dont want to work for it. If you want the money bad enough, you can find a way to get it. I am a good business man, am not afraid to talk to people and network with contacts. If there is a job out there i can do, and do it well, i do it. I also do computer work, tutor, teach swimming lessons, and design web sites.

Reffing soccer games is a good place to start, although it will not make you much money, if you like to do it, go ahead. I am going to umpire baseball games this summer, not for the money, but because I love baseball. Reffing wont get you too much money, but it will look good on a resume, and will build your network. You never know when you might find someone who knows someone who needs a job done. Thats how i work. Just some teen to teen advice. Let me know what ya think.

5. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

if refereeing is like umpiring, most leagues will require that the prospective ref complete a training course that covers not only the rules of the game, but also conflict resolution, the strategic side of the game (knowing where to be when so you are not out of position to make the call etc) as well as other skills.

My advice to contact a local soccer club and discuss what they require of a referee.

those laws, believe or not, are there for your protection. People you age, generally, are not physically developed sufficiently or have the skills necessary to protect themselves from unsafe employment conditions and people who would exploit you (as evidence, I present the fact that your back went up as you read that last comment and are thinking something along the lines of "a lot that old man knows...i am quite capable of making my own decisions").

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  6. pop-tart

pop-tart

I'm perfectly aware of that, and i understand the purpose for why they are there, but for someone in the posistion that i'm in..who wants to work..it's a pain.

I've been making alot recently by working commercial refrigeration with a relative.

i can't discuss working habits or whats and why's..its not for this topic and i can't really prove anything.

i give anyone who wants money and works for it credit..i reckon its better than collecting unemployment and sitting on welfare.

7. i3OSS

i3OSS The Procrastinator

Get a work permit from your school.

8. kram

kram

Or you can go and build computers for people - one of my friends do it, and charge 10% addition for the build (ie. A Intel P4 2.4C computer sold at 900 goes to around 1000 USD). What I do is web designing - of course, I don't have the age limit to worry about. Just ask around :D

kram

9. doctorgonzo

doctorgonzo Professional gadfly

I used to be a soccer ref starting when I was 14 or so. I had to take a few days of training where we learned the rules of the game, positioning yourself properly, and so on. It was a pretty nice job.

10. kramer

kramer

im going to find out about the soccer referee job. But I also like the building computers and selling them idea. The only problem is I wouldn't know who to sell them to. I was thinking about selling on ebay. But I dont think ill make a profit with shipping and all. How much would the computer have to be worth to make money on ebay.

11. wh427

wh427

I don't know if you live near a country club or not but, if you do and they have a golf course, you could be a caddy. I started when I was in HS and, man, is that good money. I stopped while I was in college, about 7 years ago and, at that time, I was getting $35-$40/bag. Carry 2 bags and that's $80 for about 4 hours of work. Best of all it was all cash (this will vary from club to club). I know our rates went up about $5/year so, you could make more than that! Not only do you get paid well but, you're outside (which can be a downside b/c of weather), you're getting exercise, and you're meeting interesting people (some people are rude and others a cool... consider it "people skills" and it will look great on your resume a few years down the road:D ) One downside, though, is that it's not steady... if people aren't playing golf, you're not making any cash...
    Now I sit in a cubicle all day and dream of the days out on the course....<sigh>

12. ja83

ja83

Not sure about now, but when you hit 15 and a half or 16 get a work permit, and go be a bagger at a grocery store, they pay decent and they have benefits, even though your still covered under your parents.

13. Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet

if you want to build and sell computer's or even fix them for other people place an ad in your local paper.i see ad's for that all the time.good luck.or how about window washing,me and a buddy use to do that.

14. kramer

kramer

I really like the golf course idea but theres one possible problem. I am a kinda small weak guy. How much will I be carrying and walking. I only way about 100 pounds. sad huh. About the computer idea. Im about to build my first one. Why will people buy them me instead of other people like me or name brand.

15. jong2k4

jong2k4

I've got a great job: I work in the vault (cash control, for those who know the term) at a theme park. I didn't even have to be 18 to get the job, but they did a background check on me (or so they claimed.) The pay is above minimum wage and the room is air conditioned. What more can I say?

I got the job by going to a job fair and being one of the only people there who was dressed up and had a resume that was impressive in both content and design. Everybody thinks that at a job fair you can only get crap jobs, but that's really not true, mine's great. If you dress up well, have a resume, professional attitude, knowledge of the company, and good interviewing skills you can get a really good job by going to a job fair because you'll really stand out from the 75% of the people whose parents or spouses are making them go. Job fairs are usually held by companies that have large seasonal requirements (ie theme parks) or large chains (ie Starbucks.) In my area there is a Starbucks job fair every two weeks, and they hire dozens of people each time.

Remember- even if you get a crap job, it might not always stay that way. You might start out making coffee at Starbucks, and only get a 2 hour shift each week, at whatever the minimum wage is in your state, but if you work hard and responsibly, I've known a person who was made assistant manager in 3 months.

Other dream job: one of my friends is got the unlikely job of all-purpose assistant at a water company. He files, meter reads, and does all sorts of crazy things. He started out making over $10/hour and was 17 when he got it.

16. kayoti

kayoti

I'm taking it you live out in Suburbia ;) There are millions of jobs you can do because of the fact you have neighbors. I know you were looking for jobs "other than mowing lawns", but i'll tell ya; it's a great job. Line up a couple lawns a day for the summer every morning, and you've got it made. 40 bucks a day, 240 a week. You could start at about 10 in the morning and be done with working around 1 pm. Incredible ;) Or just be creative, come up with some ideas that may help your neighbors out a bit. Just let them know that you are available for help with odd jobs and such!

17. Sharif

Sharif

Take up web design/programming. No doubt you will have to invest LOTS of time to learn it properly before you can offer services but in the long run, if you can do your job well, you'll definetly make money and can soon own your own black betty!

"Ain't no love in the heart of the city..." - Jay-Z

18. homer15

homer15 Resident Slacker

Suisun City, California (i know, where the
    get a work permit application from your school. it'll have the hourly limits you can work per day and per week. then start calling up local businesses and asking if they'll hire you as a part time grunt (meaning, you do whatever dirty job in the office nobody else wants to do... a lot of the time, that means filing). normally, you can get a little bit more than minimum wage doing that.
    also, my brother started waving signs for new housing development when he was 15. it paid him 10 bucks an hour, and he only worked weekends for 4 hours a day. it wasn't a bad lump of cash for somebody who wasn't even able to drive yet.

19. SARGE

SARGE The Preacher Man

From the time I was in the 8th grade until I graduated I had a morning paper route and worked at the DQ after school. Gave me plenty of spending $$ and experience.