I ordered the wrong LCD from newegg-refund?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mritech75, Apr 16, 2005.

1. mritech75

mritech75

Hi, I ordered a 19" LCD monitor from Newegg and realized that I ordered the wrong one (different specs from what I wanted). I understand that they won't switch for a different model-but how about a refund? I did cut the tape to open the box-will they still take it as a return/refund? I also understand the 15% restocking fee which is fine. I've never RMAed anything with them and didn't know if I would be denied because I opened the box. Thanks for your experiences.

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

They will take it back - it's gonna cost you 15% restocking and return shipping.

3. mritech75

mritech75

Thanks for your reply. Will they take it back even though I began opening the box? And also, I was looking at RMAing it but it will not allow me to do this online. Guess I need to call them? Thanks

4. diver203_98

diver203_98

Yes, even though you opened it, they will take it as a return. And you can do an online RMA request. That was how I did it. Just log into your account, and select online RMA request and fill out the form. They give you (if I remember correctly 14 days) after that the RMA expires. And you will have to send it back FedEX Express Saver, which isn't too cheap. For me to RMA a motherboard was between $45 and $56 dollars. (I had to RMA 3 MB's) And that was for each one. Also like you already know it will also cost you 15% on top of that.

5. mritech75

mritech75

Thanks for replying. It would not allow me to RMA it. It says that this item is not eligible for an online RMA. I guess I need to call them. Do I have to send it back with FedEx Express Saver? What about just standard Fedex shipping? Or will it not get there in time?

6. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

fedex saver cost you "$45 and $56 dollars"

that seems a bit high. If I remember correctly I have shipped UPS to newegg on one RMA I did on some processors and it was only like 10 dollars. In fact, I know I shipped UPS, as we don't have a fedex dealer local.

I could see 45 or so for a LCD monitor, but for a MB that seems out of line to me.

7. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

I sent the video card I RMA'd back via USPS. I don't know where people get the idea that you must use FedEx Express Saver. You don't.

8. mritech75

mritech75

Thanks for your input Hi Ho. Doesn't seem like it would matter how you ship it back as long as it gets there in time and in one piece. I am more concerned if they will even take it as a return. Like I said previously, the RMA online request said that it was not an eligible item- it has to be sent to Acer if it needs to be repaired-I just want to return it.

9. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

Call them and explain what happened. I'm sure they'll take it back.

10. mritech75

mritech75

Well, I'm at work right now, so I just emailed them-we'll see if I get a reponse in the next day or so. If not, I'll try calling them in a couple of days. Thanks!

11. JPMiller

JPMiller

Why all the debate?
    Simply call them and explain the situation...
    they are very good with customer service.
    If on the off chance you get someone you are having a hard time understanding... or is unhelpfull in any way...
    simply hang-up and call again...

12. mritech75

mritech75

Thanks JPMiller. I have never returned anything to NewEgg and I didn't know how picky they were about LCDs-especially if I opened the box.

13. mritech75

mritech75

Also, I paid with PayPal and part credit card. Do they typically put the money back in the Paypal account? I'm sure if I paid entirely with credit card it would just be credited back to the account. Thanks again.

14. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

When they send you the rma number and you print out the form there's that FedEx return designation.
    I thought it meant that newegg would pay for the return the first time I saw it (they don't).
    It's a matter of bad design that's mislead alot of people and they must have had enough complaints by now to know they need to change it.

15. mritech75

mritech75

Thanks to all for your replies. Just wanted to let everyone know that althought I couldn't RMA the LCD online (because defects covered by Acer) I called them and it was a snap! I explained that I had opened the box and he made sure I was aware of the restocking fee and then he gave me the RMA number! Simple as that! He said that I could use any parcel service that I wanted so I just sent it back with FedEx 4 day shipping. It only cost me like $13 with $300 insurance! It would have cost like $40 for 3 day shipping! Go figure!? I must say that I'm quite impressed by both NEWEGG and FEDEX, and of course, you guys at PCMECH!