I bought a Windows 7 OEM - I'm a bit confuzzled =(

Discussion in 'Windows OS Support (Vista and newer)' started by echrisinger, Aug 25, 2011.

1. echrisinger

echrisinger

So, I bought this fancy schmancy Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM off Newegg (Link: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems ), intending to install it on my system with the assumption that it was the same thing as Windows 7 Home Premium, except that you can't transfer it across systems - that's fine, I plan on upgrading to Windows 8 when it comes out anyways, or something along the line.

Yet, when I got the box, those little buggers at Microsoft put something in about an OPK on the box and how I have to have an OPK license to install it. I checked out the microsoft website for OPK's and stuff (Link: Windows 7 OPK )
    and it really isn't clear :,[

I'm quite frustrated at all this PC building shenanigans, as I've had to uninstall and re-install components, and yeah... rofl.

So did Microsoft just pull it's finger out of it's *** and tell me I can't really use this for my own PC or can I just straight install it on my computer and get to gaming...? -_-

Sorry for the 'agitated' post, but every time I go to work on this thing I have a bit of trouble :mad: with installing components or something... Now I FINALLY finished it, to find out it might not work... Microsoft you :devil

Also, excuse me, this PC is being sold at a price of $1 to none other than my friend... who is gifting it back to me. So no microsoft this isn't violating your OEM law ;]

Anyways, if possible will you please make a clear detailed post as to how this OEM deal works? I'm :confused:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

No, you don't have to use an OPK. Just install it and enter your key code, it will work fine.

What they are saying is - if you DO want to use an OPK, you need a license for THAT. An OPK is a timesaver for system builders that build a lot of systems.

3. echrisinger

echrisinger

Oh sweet! I was seriously getting pissed off... >.>
    Welp, I feel like a bit of an idiot now.
    Thanks for the quick response =)