Huge Temporary Internet Files folder filling my hard drive!

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by JTH, Jun 18, 2003.

1. JTH

JTH

I'm using Win ME and my Temporary Internet Folder reads a whopping 646mb! This is part of a problem that is causing my 20gig. hard drive to be filled no matter how much I delete. Today my space ran as low as 728kb. (less than a megabye!)

As a result I'm pestered with critical messages and program problems. And even if I delete a 700mb. program, it just seems to fill up again. Anyways my Temp. Internet folder reads 39,892 files while in actuallity there are only about 19 (they were purged recently by some software when I switched internet connection). How can I reset it to read zero and perhaps start to solve my space problem?!

Thanks in advance,

JTH

2. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Go into Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> look in the Temporary Internet Files box and click on Settings. Set the amount of disk space to whatever you want...that way, you control how much files are cached to your hard drive. I usually set mine to 25MB.

:) Cricket

3. Kubie

Kubie

JTH,

If you're using IE as your browser, go to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>GENERAL and set the amount of Temp Internet Files you want to keep.

HTH

Carl

4. Kubie

Kubie

Good timing Cricket!
    BTW, Congrtats on 10,000:)

Carl

5. andyms18a

andyms18a

all so do a full virus scan with a upto date virus checker or an on line scan as some viruses can just fill your hdd

6. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Thanks Carl...it's just a number :D.

7. JTH

JTH

Yes I have scanned my HDD with a virus checker, but with no viruses found thankfully.

A scandisk seemed to fix some errors on my disk but the problem remains. How can I purge my Temp. Internet Files folder so it won't take up 646mb.?!!

JTH

8. ktkendall

ktkendall Telcom Tech

Also with IE I always go to tools>InternetOptions>Advanced TAB and scroll down under Security and there is a box that is not checked by default that says "empty temporary internet files when browser is closed". I always go in and check and apply that one.....

9. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

Go to Tools> Internet Options> look in the Temporary Internet Files box and click on Delete Files. Then change the Amount of disk space to use in Settings.

You can also use Windows Explorer to delete the files in the Temporary Internet Files folder. Browse to the folder, select all the files and delete them.