How to remove Spector pro?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shawn48, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Shawn48

Shawn48

Hey,

I spent my entire summer last year working to buy parts and build my own computer..My dad doesn't trust me so he had a guy put "Spector Pro" on my computer yesterday...Well, when I get back to my computer after staying the night w/ a friend and I see a Icon on my desktop called "Spector pro inst."..The so called "Computer professional" left the download icon of Spector pro on my desktop like a dumbass...Soo much for trying to do this behind my back while I'm gone..

Anyway..I brought my dad in and he said he'd take it off..But I'm not convienced..And I don't wanna have to reformatt my computer just to make sure it is off..Anyone know a way I can make sure it's off?

Thanks!

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

How old are you?

3. Shawn48

Shawn48

18..Senior in highschool..why?

4. glc

Just checking on the legalities of advising you on this. If you were under 18, I'd have to close the thread and refer you to your parents for doing anything of this sort.

http://www.spywaredb.com/remove-spector/

Disclaimer: I cannot comment on the safety of using that automatic remover or the manual instructions. There are quite a few sites that come up when you Google Spector removal - and I'm sure quite a few are pay-for software sites of dubious quality.

5. Shawn48

Shawn48

Alright then..I appreciate it glc

6. Shawn48

Shawn48

He claims to have taken it off..But I'm not even sure he knows how to take it off if he wanted to..But I'll try this and see what it does?

7. David M

David M Techphile.

I'm finding it hard to believe that a parent would place monitoring software on the computer of an adult son. But then, how do you prove or disprove what someone is telling you? Seems like a bit of a dilemma for PC Mech as to whether or not to give advice on defeating monitoring software. You may or may not be giving advice to a 15 year old. I know if such advice were being given to my 11 year old son that I would be pretty ticked off.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  8. glc

He could have found that link himself with a Google search easy enough. Yes, it's a gray area as far as the forum rules are concerned, I made the decision to go ahead and post it.

9. RazorDX

RazorDX

I'd believe it. Although my parents never tried that on me (they knew I'd stop fixing their computer ;p), I know several over-zealous parents who do. A friend of mine brought his computer to the university a month or two ago because it started acting funny. We were doing the routine check of spyware/malware, and came across a similar program that monitors and limits web activity. We looked it up, and apparently it was something his parents put on without his permission. He's 19 years old, and at the time a high school senior. It wasn't like it was their computer either, he'd purchased the parts and assembled it in the lab with us.

10. David M

David M Techphile.

Well, businesses can do it to their employees...but can one adult legally spy on another adult without their conscent? It's an interesting legal question. Does anyone have an answer?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  11. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

I'm pretty sure there's something in your contract that allows that type of thing. Of course, no one bothers to read the fine print.