How to remove iexplore.exe virus

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by CrazyIrishman, Nov 29, 2011.

1. CrazyIrishman

CrazyIrishman

I have several instances of "iexplore.exe" running and they are using quite a bit of memory.

My anti-virus programs won't pick it up at all. What is the best way to remove this virus once & for all?

Thanks,

Martin

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

What programs are you using?

3. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

iexplore.exe = Internet Explorer..... While some people don't like IE, it's generally not considered to be a virus;)

4. jdeb

jdeb

That is a nasty one. Microsoft System Sweeper should do the trick, hopefully it didn't mess with your files and folders already. Get to a clean computer, download the appropriate version (32bit or 64bit), burn the cd, boot from the cd and clean.

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta | Microsoft Connect

Then uninstall your current anti virus and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

5. CrazyIrishman

CrazyIrishman

GLC,

I use AdAware & AVG and I usually have very good results, but it won't take care of the "iexplore.exe" virus.

Ezy,

I know people in general don't usually think of iexplorer.exe as a virus, but from what I have read online there is a virus that uses this for a name. I can understand having one file with that name but under Windows Task Manager under processes I have at least 5 processes using "iexplore.exe" that are using ALOT of memory.

jdeb,

Are there any programs that will work with my PC the way it is? I am tempted to try the program you recommend anyway as I'm having a problem finding another computer to use.

6. strollin

strollin

MS System Sweeper is a self-booting tool that can be booted from a CD or USB thumb drive. It doesn't require installation or any changes to your system (other than problem file eradication).

7. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Just an FYI::
    IE 8 & 9 will have an iexplore.exe in task manager for each Tab and or new window of IE.... From time to time with IE closed, the exe file still might be found in task manager.

If you reboot and find it running without ever opening IE then you probably have the virus.

8. jdeb

jdeb

I doubt it. You need to burn that disc if possible. Do you have a friend or family member's PC you could use to burn a cd? It takes about 10 minutes. Then take that cd and boot from it.

You could also try this though... download malwarebytes, install it. Then boot the PC in safe mode with networking. After you get in Windows safe mode, run Malwarebytes... maybe you will get lucky.

Additionally, those programs are antiquated and need to be uninstalled. Micorsoft Security Essentials will be all you need after you eliminate the problem.

Make sure you back up your files

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. ScoJan

ScoJan

Im wondering how you made out with this virus, I believe I have the same one. I have 2 iexplorer.exe processes running, one using a crazy amount of memory.

Both 'SuperAntispyware' and 'Malwarebytes' find the infected files, and remove them, only to reappear once I reopen my browser.
    uninstalling the ie browser and installing another like 'Chrome' or 'Firefox' doesn't solve it either.

10. Nuclear Krusader

Nuclear Krusader Mondsreitersmann

Try disabling System Restore.

11. edfair

edfair

You may also have a watchdog program running that restarts the malware when it is stopped for whatever reason.

It was wierd to watch one of the malware programs pop back up in task manager 5 seconds after the previously loaded one was deleted. You could test for a watchdog the same way.