How to FDISK partition SCSI, Extended, one logical, Fat32

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by J M C, Dec 11, 2000.

1. J M C

J M C

Hello

I 'm going to add another SCSI HD to my PC (Win98).

Can you help me finish this FDISK DOS step by step, how-to, "walk through" I'm compiling? I need this so I won't get lost when I'm navigating FDISK DOS?

----------------
    "How to partition a non boot drive--a 2nd HD--for FAT32 specifically" (that is what I want)

First back up all wanted files on your "C"/boot/main drive, just to be on the safe side.

Boot with Win98-created floppy boot disk. Type 'FDISK' (w/o quotes) at the "A:\" prompt.

FAT32 screen
    -Where it says "Do you wish to enable large disk support?" type 'Y' then hit "Enter" taking you to...

FDISK options screen
    -where it says "Enter choice:" type '5' "Change current drive" then hit "Enter"
    "Change current drive" sub-screen:
    select '2' then hit "Esc", taking you back to "FDISK options screen"...
    -type '1' "Create primary DOS or logical DOS drive" then hit "Enter"
    "Create primary DOS or logical DOS drive" sub-screen:
    Type '2' "Create extended DOS partition" then hit "Enter"

-----------
    From here, I'm blind; And indeed some of what I have above might be wrong (eg. how do I "select '2'" on the "Change current drive" sub screen?). I don't want to come across a nonresolvable DOS menu screen or method when I'm in the middle of the procedure.

Thanks

JMC

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

If all you want is a single FAT32 partition, stop after creating the primary dos partition - you are done.

3. smiffy

smiffy

I would add the following proviso. If you currently have a hard disk containing logical drive(s) in an extended DOS partition, then after adding another primary DOS partition the drive letters for the logical drives will be re-shuffled (because DOS always assigns drive letters to Primary DOS partitions first) e.g.

Before
    Disk 1/Primary Dos Partition = C:
    Disk 1/Extended Dos Partition/Logical Drive 1 = D:
    Disk 1/Extended DOS Partition/Logical Drive 2 = E:
    CD/ROM = F:

After
    Disk 2/Primary Dos Partition = D:
    Disk 1/Extended Dos Partition/Logical Drive 1 = E:
    Disk 1/Extended DOS Partition/Logical Drive 2 = F:
    CD/ROM = G:

In the above scenario any applications installed to Drives D: or E: will (in all probability) no longer function correctly.

If you wish to keep the existing drive letters then you would have to partition the new drive as having ONLY an extended DOS Partition which will result in the following:-

After
    Disk 1/Extended Dos Partition/Logical Drive 1 = D:
    Disk 1/Extended DOS Partition/Logical Drive 2 = E:
    Disk 2/Primary Dos Partition = F:
    CD/ROM = G:

Sorry, there is not much you can do about the CD/ROM's drive letter unless you either renamed it to T: (or similar) after installing Windows or are running NT4/W2K (in which you can arrange the drive letters however you choose and the above will not be a problem anyway).