How to check if your router is broken...

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by sam21, Jul 22, 2003.

1. sam21

sam21

Hello,
    how do you know if your router is broken?I just bought a new router Netgear RP614 about a month and a half ago,and twice this has happen....INTERNET CONNECTION LOST...I mean the internet light on the router remains lit and the cable modem is fine...

the first time it happened,i just reseted the router.The second time,which happen about a minute ago,i had to unplug and plug the routetr power cable

does anyone know how to check if your router is broken or not???please do help,this is my SECOND router,the first one had the same problem but it was caused by electric shock and was not connected to a power surge outlet.This one is connected to a power surge outlet athough today the power trough the house went out and back on,do you guys thinkn my router has been electrucuted again??

2. bailey

bailey

you might want to double check your cabeling connections, I had two cables coupled together once and keep betting that error.

replaced with solid run of one new cable and problem went away,
    so it don't take much of a poor connection to get that error

3. sam21

sam21

but why would restarting the router helps if my cable(s) were bad?

4. Confused

Confused

Restarting forces a new sync.

This may not be a problem with the router, but with your ISP. I've had cable for couple of years thru Insight Communications. About 14 months ago they switched over to AT&T when @home went belly up. I had the exact problem you are describing after the switch over. I would have to reset the router and sometimes the cable modem.

I don't know what happend but problem cleared on it's own after about three weeks and has been running fine since.

First thing I would do is switch the cables if feasible. If not because of runs thru walls then I would replace the ends. Second I would contact your ISP.
    Chas

5. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

when you lose your connection does all your PC's lose the network as well?

I have a Netgear and I was having disconnect problems
    at the time of disconnect I would be unable to surf into the netgear router and would have to unplug it and plug it back up then I could surf into the netgear and surf.
    after 3 firmware updates the problem went away.

they gave me a beta firmware that was not released on the webpage and I have been using it fine since. I had to call tech support to get it. I was readly to sent the router back and was trying to get an RMA when that fixed it.

6. sam21

sam21

Confused,
    It's kinda hard changing the cables and quite pricey,the cables are about 20ft all together

Byte 2.0,
    yes ALL of the PC's lose connection,do you think i should try that firmware?

7. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

one other thing to check when I would lose my connection, not one of my PC's could access the others in network. That is how I know the problem was in my router.

checking for a firmware update at Netgear was not hard and fairly get instructions on installing it. It couldn't hurt to try it, just make sure you get the correct one.

8. gunrunnerjohn

gunrunnerjohn

I had a problem with my SMC router dropping the Internet connections every few weeks, and I'd have to reboot the router to clear the problem. I upgraded the firmware a few months back, and I haven't rebooted it since. The firmware upgrade is the FIRST thing to try. :)

9. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

My D-Link DI-604 router restarts once in a while and I have no idea why. My network connection goes off and the light start blinking but about ten seconds later I get it back.

10. sam21

sam21

A little problem updating the firmware,there are two on netgear's site and both of them are for versions of the router that DOES NOT end in V2,well guess what guys?I have the V2 version...

11. Byte 2.0

Byte 2.0

Ok, time to be sure if it is the router of the ISP connection.

Next time you lost your connection, see if your PC can connect to the Netgear router.

Check your IP address and default gateway. OPen IE and type in http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where the X's are the IP address of y our default gateway.

If you can not connect to the router, it is highly likely it is the router.

Instead of a surge protector, I recommended UPS, back up batteries, most have built in surge and they level the power out when the power is going on and off, Blinking or brown outs.

12. tvpincdoc

tvpincdoc

Be careful with updating firmware!!!

I had this problem with my Linksys. I would be disconnected (most noticeably in Star Wars Galaxies).

Someone stated that a firmware update would help. I went to Linksys, got the BEFW11S4 version 1 firmware update (correct one), applied it as per the instructions, and it fixed the problem. The downside? It permanently destroyed the wireless service on the router.

Linksys at least stated this, and said that because my router was just over one year old, it was MY problem!!

I have since purchased A D-Link DI-614+, but I can only access the internet on this one hard-wired computer. I can browse the network on all. I can ping the router on all, but cannot ping yahoo.com, etc wiith any computer except this one.

Moral of the story? Beware with firmware updates. They are not always safe, and the companies will hold you responsible even if it is applied correctly. (They aren't accusing me of flashing the wrong version. They just state that my router is over one year old. It's not an issue of them not believing that I did things correctlyl.)

13. sam21

sam21

Ok,updated the firmware witht the right version and everything,hopefully everything will be fine from here

Thanks for the help guys:)