How to block network attached devices?

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by Sevillian273, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Sevillian273

Sevillian273

I have a Netgear model WGR614 wireless router in my house. It is connected to a broadband modem. I'd like to know how I can block, disconnect, or disable service to the computers and devices that get service thru the router at my choosing. I pay the bills for our broadband service. My brother who lives here also, contributes zero to the bill yet brings his friends over and with all their devices(xbox, playtation, laptops, ipod, etc....) taking up the bandwidth. I am the router 'admin' and can see it through my computer by going to 'routerlogin.net' and I can see all the attached devices at any given time. I'd like to be able to disconnect them at will when I need the bandwidth. Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. mojo

mojo Ceiling cat is watching!

There are many possible technical solutions with varying degrees of difficulty, but have you tried the obvious solution? Talking to your brother about contributing to the bill and being respectful about letting friends connect just anything to the network? I completely understand your feeling that it's not fair if you're paying the whole bill, but from a bandwidth point of view the only thing I can see that you'd actually even notice being hooked up is a laptop if they happened to be running bittorrent or some other peer-to-peer software or perhaps downloading huge files (legit or not) from websites. Xbox and playstation, etc. generally don't take up much bandwidth at all just to play games over the internet.

3. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

From a technical standpoint, you could enable MAC address filtering. Though I agree with mojo, you should address the issue directly and explain your viewpoint on the matter. If he is over 18, I would probably expect a contribution of some sort. If under, I may let contributions slide depending on what the situation is.

4. mbossman2

mbossman2 I am, in reality, a moose Staff Member

or you can set subnet range to allow for however many devices you have and the rest can't pickup or be assigned a valid IP address.

the above are right: better to discuss the matter rather than let it fester to the point where it does long term damage to your relationship or you (also as above) take drastic action

5. Sevillian273

Sevillian273

Thanks guys Ill check that stuff out. He is under 18 by the way and still in school. Ive talked to him about his friend's stuff using the network but once in a while I see an unfamiliar device or two in the list. I'm tired of confronting him about it constantly. I get excuses like 'oh I didnt know it was connected...' etc etc. So far I've found a way to block all wireless devices besides his own computer by turning on 'wireless card access control' but that doesnt necessarily solve my problem...

I dont mind the network usage for the most part. The problem seems to be when they are using the computer while playing xbox or ps3, I have trouble connecting to my own online games. Since I own the network and pay the bill I want priority over the bandwidth when I need it. I wish I could simply click on a device and select 'disable' or 'limit connectivity' .... something like that. I dont want to have to bust into his room and say ' Ok guys, stop playing your game cause I'm playing mine now.' And then there's no guarantee that he will stay off of it until I tell him its ok. I'd rather it be a mystery to him when his device goes offline....

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Buy a Linksys WRT54GL router and install DD-WRT firmware. You can do a lot with it - with QoS you can ration bandwidth.