How do you call 911 from out of state?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TwoRails, Nov 5, 2008.

1. TwoRails

TwoRails

Just curious, but say you're on the phone with someone who is in a different state at the time and something 'unpleasant' happens to them and the phone is disconnected. How do you call their local 911??

2. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Don't think you can.

Options would probably be to call their local police deptartment direct. (Doubt you would just so happen to have that number.)

Or dial 911, and explain the situation to your operator, and they should be able to give the information to the proper station. (I assume they would have some way to connect to out of state departments. Phone book type thing.)

3. HAL9000

HAL9000

I've actually done this... you call your local 911 and they transfer you to the appropriate detachment.

4. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

Same here - call 911 from wherever you are and explain what's happened. They'll connect you with emergency dispatch that's local to the other party.

5. Jester

Jester

good to know. I had some seedy individuals following me and throwing insults at me the other night. I just kept talking and walking. Told my wife what cross street I was at and if the phone suddenly went dead and i didnt call back in 2 minutes to call the cops. We didnt know what cops to call though.

6. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

One reason I always carry a knife on me.

7. TwoRails

TwoRails

Thanks folks :) -- Hopefully I (and you-all) will never run into that situation!

8. David M

David M Techphile.

Or you call the Operator by dialing zero...they have all the emergency numbers right in front of them.

I once called 911 and was told to wait my turn. I hung up and called the Operator who immediately got through to the Highway Patrol.

9. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

That may or may not work with cellular - dialing zero on a cellphone gets you your cell provider's operator - generally not a local operator. That's exactly why some cell companies build the press-and-hold feature into their phones - By pressing and holding whatever number they have designated you're routed to the local emergency switchboard.