how do i install op. system form C:\>

Discussion in 'Build Your Own PC' started by joelturnbull, Nov 16, 2005.

1. joelturnbull

joelturnbull

I have pentium 3 p.c. that has got a hard drive that has been formatted. There is no operating system on it and I am trying to install Win98. When I turn the computer on the screen shows a C:\> prompt. I have no experience with DOS and wonder what to do. A neighbour tried various commands such as E:\SETUP.EXE and got "invalid drive specification". We also tried using other letters from A to F and had no joy. The floppy drive tried to read but a message saying "Not ready reading drive B". Please can anyone help? It must be a relatively easy operation when you know how! It is driving me mad as I desperately need a back-up p.c.

2. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Is the hard drive formatted in Fat or Fat32? Needs to be in order for 98 to load. If it was formatted in NTFS with an XP computer, the 98 disk will not see the hard drive.

3. joelturnbull

joelturnbull

I have no idea as I did not format it and don't know how to tell!

4. jayb1234

jayb1234

You could put the hard drive in your other computer and check the file system there. go to my computer, right click on the drive and left click properties at the bottom of the list that comes up. The file system will be listed on the general tab.

5. Aussie01

Aussie01

Sounds like you might just need a startup disk for Win98. You usually get one when you buy the software (or I did) I'm pretty sure you can create one too but I'm not running 98 now so i can't really remember how to do it. I'm sure some other guys can tell u.

The disk will basically load drivers so that the computer can recognise and talk to your optical drives. Then you can Install 98 from your cd.

6. Cricket

Cricket Shiro Usagi

This web site can help you install Win98 on a bare hard drive.

What version of Win98 are you trying to install? Is it a full installation CD or an upgrade CD? I don't think the upgrade CD is bootable.

Do you have the proper setup floppy disk? It needs CD-ROM support.

:) Cricket

7. joelturnbull

joelturnbull

In answer to the messages above:
    1. I cannot put the hard drive into another pc as it is a laptop.
    2. I have a startup disk but does not help. "not ready reading drive A" (and B)
    3. Am now going to look at the above link for inspiration! Your help is much appreciated.

8. sgtspector

sgtspector

Go to www.bootdisk.com for a win98 boot disk that allow access to your cd rom drive from dos. The just type "D:\setup.exe" w/o quotes where "d" is the drive letter.