How do I get rid of unwanted desktop icon?

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by ConLog, Jan 15, 2006.

1. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

Since I installed the software for my Toshiba mobile phone I now have an icon called "My mobile phones" on my desktop.

Right clicking this icon does not have an option for deletion.

Since I like my desktop free from icons I'd like to get rid of this. Does anyone know how this can be done (I don't mind going into the registry or whatever it takes - I'd like this icon GONE!)?

TIA.

Colin.

2. peekaboo

peekaboo

have you tried clicking on the icon (once) and then hitting the delete key?

3. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

Thanks for just teaching me something new.......sadly it does not work for that particular icon.

4. blue60007

blue60007 Wx geek

Check the options for that software and see if there is a way to disable it. It kind of sounds like a "My Computer" or Recycle Bin type icon.

5. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

Yup it's a Recycle Bin type icon.

The software is really basic and is just for transferring files etc. I've looked but I doubt very much there is anywhere in the software I can delete the icon. They've made it undeletable because they WANT it on your desktop.

There was not the option of having a desktop icon during installation either.

If I could even find a way of deleting the recycle bin from the desktop then I'd do the same with the Toshiba icon.

Thanks for your help so far guys.:)

6. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

What happens if you right click the desktop and unselect Show Desktop Icons. It's under: Arrange Icons by>

7. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

All the icons disappear PR!

When I said I liked my desktop 'icon free' I never quite meant 'completely icon free'. I like to keep a few folders and the recycle bin on the desktop.;)

8. Stuey

Stuey Defenestrator

Right click on the desktop and hit "properties". Go to the "desktop" tab and hit the "customize" button. Maybe under desktop items, there is a checkbox to remove this icon??

9. Panama Red

Hehe!:D Just tryin' to give ya what ya asked for.

Guess ya better be careful what ya ask for!:eek: :D

10. Panama Red

11. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

I think the icon has me beat!

I tried that program PR and all the desktop icons appear in the section that allows you to delete them - EXCEPT for the Toshiba icon and the Recycle Bin.

I'm about to reinstall WindowsXP (I have a virus that NAV2K5 can't fix) so I might just leave the Toshiba software off my PC.

Thanks for all your suggestions.:)

12. jgis19

jgis19

Try TweakUI from Microsoft Power Toys

13. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

You can after getting rid of all the icons with the suggestion from red go to start>programs and right click on the icons you do want and choose show on desktop..

14. Statica

Statica

All the methods described are those for removing shortcuts. It is possible to have an icon on the desktop without it being a shortcut. Unfortunately, removing it from the desktop will require some serious registry hacking. Most of these icons are defined as a GUID subkey.
    You can however try this (at your own risk).
    Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    Scroll down the GUID till you find the name of your icon as you see on your desktop.
    Now right click on the "folder" and select EXPORT .. export to something like tweak.reg so that you know what to do if something goes horribly wrong (it shouldnt but at least you have a backup).
    Now right click and delete it off.
    Reboot. The icon should be gone.

This is also symptomatic of programmers who will shove things down on your computer without any regard to what you want. There should really be an option in the program itself about whether you want the icon displaying or not .. they obviously didn't think it was worth giving the user an option.

15. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

Statica,

Thank you very much - that worked absolutely fantastic!

I kinda guessed it might have required going into the registry to sort this problem.

Thanks again and thanks to everyone else.:)