How do I find broadband password?

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by ConLog, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

I'm about to wipe Windows XP and install Windows Vista HB on my mother-in-laws PC but she'll lose her broadband connection.

Let me explain,
    (1) She has no idea where her broadband paperwork is.
    (2) She is using a USB ADSL modem, so the password is on her PC.
    (3) Once, to find her password, she got me to contact British Telecom Broadband and after being put on hold for literally hours, we eventually got passed around some people in some Indian call centre only to be told her password is - PASSWORD. Well it wasn't. I'm not going through that nightmare again.

Anyway, is there ANY way of retrieving her broadband password before I scrub Windows XP and install Vista HB.

TIA.

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Are you sure you need a password?
    I could see her email needing one but not to just connect to the internet?

3. ConLog

ConLog Computer Geek

You've confused me somewhat. How is it I need to put my username AND password into my router for my ADSL broadband connection to come alive then?

4. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Not sure about things in the UK but dsl lines here typically require setting up an account when you first sign up. Your Name = email address and password = whatever you chose. This password would be what she uses to access her email account with her dsl provider.

5. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Its been a while since I did a BT dsl setup, but if I remember correctly the username was the clients email address and the password was welcome, welcome1 or welcome 01
    Like I say it's been a few years, sorry I cant be anymore specific ConLog. If you can give me a day or two I can ask my son he may remember because he was the one doing the typing while I was on the phone with BT control.

6. Petef56

Petef56

Here in the USA, with Verizon DSL, once you setup your account, it's the ROUTER
    that holds the username and password. So once the router is setup, you can connect
    any PC to the router and it will connect to the internet. However, if you use Web-based
    Email, you will still need to know your password.

You can test your system to see if the router is holding the password without messing
    up your Windows setup. All you need is a Puppy Linux CD. Boot to the Puppy Linux
    CD and the Linux OS runs completely in RAM without affecting your Windows setup.
    If you can connect to the Interent using Puppy Linux via the ethernet port wired
    to your router, the you will know that the username and password are stored in
    the router.

I just posted details on how to make the Puppy Linux CD.

Windows users - Why you need a Puppy Linux CD!
    http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?p=1371826#post1371826

---pete---

7. mikeL

mikeL

you should be able to enter the modems interface by typing in the modems IP address from your webbrowser then hit enter.

8. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Sorry ConLog, no excuses.
    It was late and I was in a strop because a delivery had not shown up.
    My appologies.
    You don't need the user name and password it is stored in the modem, even if it is USB.
    Once the system is setup for the first time the information is set in the modem.
    I cant remember why my son and I were setting up a modem for a friend of mine, I can only think it was because BT had sent them a new modem.
    The information should be stored in the modem once the first connection is established just like any other dsl modem.