How do I create an autoexec.bat ?!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by General Lee, Aug 3, 2005.

1. General Lee

General Lee

In preperation for flashing my BIOS I am making a "BIOS recovery disk" in case the worst happens. This is quoted from the MSI website:

"BIOS Recovery Feature
    For Award BIOS
    1. Make a bootable floopy disk
    2. Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the said floppy disk.
    3. Create an autoexec.bat with "awdfl535 biosfilename" in the content e.g. awadfl535 a619mj21.bin
    4. Boot up system with the said floppy (it will take less than 2 minutes before screen comes out)
    5. Re-flash the BIOS & reboot."

Could someone explain #3 for me, please? I've got numbers 1 & 2 done. & the rest of it I understand - no problem.

Thanks in advance!

2. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Open a command prompt.

copy con a:\autoexec.bat (enter)
    awdfl535 a619mj21.bin (enter)
    Ctrl+Z (hold Ctrl and hit Z, you should see a ^) (enter)

You should see floppy activity as it saves.

3. General Lee

General Lee

I am embarrassed to ask but how do I open a comand prompt? (yes I'm serious) :eek:
    what is 'copy con'? Do I type that line exactly or just what s after the A prompt?

Thanks for your help & please excuse my ignorance.

4. General Lee

General Lee

OK, I figured out how to open a command prompt (whoopee) & followed your instructions. I saw activity on the floppy drive so i know it did something. Next question is; should there be a new icon with that name (awdfl535 a619mj21.bin) on the floppy when I look at in in 'my computer'? I don't see a new file...

I may have inadvertently verified that the 'recovery disk' works.
    I rebooted my computer last night & did not realize I had left the floppy in the drive after making the autoexec.bat file following your instructions. Since I have my floppy drive set as the 3rd boot device on startup it read the disk & suddenly I was looking at the Award Flash Utility screen & it was asking me, "Would you like to save current BIOS?" I removed the disk & reset the computer without doing anything & it booted up fine.

Does this mean the autoexec.bat file did its thing? I think it worked since the system booted off the floppy & then took me straight to the flash utility without any commands from me. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse but I want to be absolutely sure this 'recovery disk' works before I attempt to update my BIOS. I got burned by a bad flash recently & now I am all freaked out about it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  5. General Lee

General Lee

Could some kind soul take a moment or two to verify that my 'recovery disk' is OK?

6. Two|Bit

Two|Bit

I cannot but atleast this post will get your topic to the top :D

7. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

No, but there should be one that says autoexec.bat.

Yep.