Hotmail- go to next message after deleting current

Discussion in 'Networking, Internet, Web Applications & The Cloud' started by Kidd, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Kidd

Kidd

After reading a message in Hotmail, I will delete it or move it into a folder. After the move or deletion, I would like to see the next message (chronologically). Hotmail automatically moves me into the last message.
    Example: I receive 1 email per day; Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I open my mail on Thursday. I want to see what was emailed first, so I immediately open Monday's email. after I delete it, I expect to see my next message, 'Tuesday'. However, hotmail automatically moves me into something older, from last week. Is there anyway to change this?

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

I just checked my Hotmail....Had five new mails...I opened the first on the list - read it - deleted it and it took me to the next one. I then used the DOWN Arrow on the page to go to the next mail.

3. Kidd

Kidd

That's exactly what mine does. The first one on the list, the top email, is the newest. However, there are another 3 emails that came before that email, which are still unread. I want to read all of my mail chronologically. If someone sends me an email with a picture, then another email talking about the picture, I want to read the email containing the picture first. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally I open and read an email that doesn't make sense without the context of the previous email. If my inbox were empty (except for unread emails), it wouldn't happen, but I haven't had my inbox completely empty in a long time.

I try to open my OLDEST unread email first (usually 5 or 6 down on the list), then when I delete it, it takes me to the next email down the list- one that I have already read. I want to see my next UNREAD email after deleting.

Sorry, I am terrible at explaining these things.

4. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Us the UP Arrow button inside Hotmail;)

5. Kidd

Kidd

Thanks, that's what I usually do. I've gotten used to Outlook, where you have 3 options after moving or deleting an open item:

-Open the previous item (which opens the next item up, like I want it to do)
    -Open the next item (which is what Hotmail does by default)
    -Return to the Inbox

After playing with it, I'm thinking there isn't an option to get Hotmail to do what I want.

6. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

7. Kidd

Kidd

Thanks for the suggestion G, that was the next logical step, but I check my hotmail from 3 different computers, and only one has Outlook. At this point, the solution to my small annoyance is a bigger pain than just clicking the up arrow on Hotmail. Maybe I'll empty my Inbox more often.

Thanks for the help guys.