Hey audiophiles - suggestion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PardeGT, Jan 20, 2002.

1. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

I would like to run a line from my sound card in my computer to my stereo receiver that is in another room. The wire will be ran through the walls and its length will be around 30ft.

What kind of wire should I use to accomplish this and how much $$ would it run me? If its too much I could live without it - just an idea I had. A single wire would be easier to snake through the walls than two. By single I mean the insullation would be single holding two wires.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2002
  2. Hpro

Hpro Power in the Box-P4 XEON!

30 feet that's about 9 meters - ok you will need followings..

If you have a soundcard with Digital output and your STEREO has DIGITAL input then you will need only a thin 1.5 SQmm wire plus a 2, 1/8" mono jack and then connect the digital output of the computers soundcard to the digital input of your stereo..

If you have a regular stereo LINE OUTPUT on the Soundcard then you will need
    1.Stereo 1/8 Jack to RCA convertor.. (picture)
    2.4 RCA JACKS - as you don't want to squeeze the cable into a regular 1/8 jack
    3.Highgrade double shielded OFC (OXIDE FREE COPPER)Cable with the lead in the middle and two shieldings - 1st.one Carbonized plastic and regular wire shield ..
    The cable in the picture is Capacistance Corrected signal Cable Reference from Europe -

The jacks are - Esoterics and the jacks on the brown cable are NEUTRIK - 24K Gold Plated - the pair 50 Usd.. made in Switzerland (Lichtenstein)Audiyoda sure knows the brand except he is using japanese jacks.. Neutrik are the most profesiional Jacks you can buy..every better Group uses the Canon Neutrik Jacks for concerts.. See Picture = as the junction convertor you can buy in every store - look that you get good quality as those sometimes inside are made very badly..The jacks and cables you see in this picture I use for about 10 years and never any problems of NOISE or etc..

[​IMG]

3. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

Nope - I don't have any optical/digital hook-ups. I understand the splitter and the two wires that have the male rca ends as they would plug into the two connections on the splitter. The respective right and left inputs on the reciever would also require male rca plugs on the ends of the cables. What are the other two cables for?

4. Hpro

Actually only to show you the differend RCA and the cable size - as the teh Neutrik RCA's is on High grade Silver Audio cable ..and for you see the difference of connecting them inside the cover.. so you will note that those RCA are all STRAIGHT TROUGH very important for SOUND SIGNALS that there are the least connection joints as possible..

5. twoguise

twoguise

sound

I'm running at least 10 meters+ of some stereo (3 wire)cable connected to standard cheap stereo connectors.........I have to go upstairs to stereo ...or downstairs to shop , hence the length.....been working for couple years now ........do have problems with the cheap connectors I'm using so seeing Hpro's system has inspired me ......definitely going to see if I can find that stereo to RCA connector down here.......... that looks like one slick setup.

6. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

Thanks Hpro - I'll search around for them for awhile since I'm not in a rush and see what I can find for cable and the Neutrik jacks. :)

7. audiyoda

audiyoda Banned

East of Lake Michigan -- West of Lake Huron -- Sou
    I doubt highly that your reciever has Neutrik connections -- pretty much reserved for the pros. I've rarely seen those on anything except professional sound reinforcement equipment -- just not a need in consumer equipment -- it would put too much of a cost burden on consumers.

-Craig

8. audiyoda

audiyoda Banned

Actually, I use cable made in the good ol' USA --highest grade Acoustic Research, Monster Cable or Outlaw Cable.

As for the jacks themselves, a Nuetrik connection is only found on the highest end of A/V gear -- even my studio gear has basic RCA style connections. Certainly I've used Nuetrik connection when I've done live sound reinforcement -- do I notice a difference? Only that Nuetrik connections offer a more secure connection -- but for signal path, it's not that big a deal that only the most finicky audiophile will notice.

-Craig

9. lovitz

lovitz

Neutrik manufactures " Speakon " which as AudiYoda said is reserved for P.A equipment. Being an " Audiophile " for many years, I have yet to find a receiver that has Speakon outputs. Personally, It would make sence, because there are no bare wires to screw around with, just plug and twist and it locks in place. The cable is pretty thick, I'd recommend that only receivers with the output of 200 watts/channel be equipped with it.

10. Hpro

The Neutrik PRO RCA you see in the picutre is a RCA jack and almost any better home Stereo is equipped with RCA - this is a springloaded Sleeve JACK and the reason I used to cut out all the possiblity of Hum and NOISE -
    I know there are NO Canons on a home stereo - but for in this matter there for is only the Neutrik connection - the best connection - see when the jack will be inserted the outside sleeve will be moved back into the jack - as soon hitting the female counterpart - this ensures that even by switched on Poweramps you will have NO POP NOISE coming out of the Speakers.. As I usually never power the power amp down when connecting or disconnecting cables - or other deivces - so a good POP would destroy the speakers and that for I use NEUTRIK here - also because of the Ground plate inside is 92.5% silver and the lead is as stated above 20 micron gold plated.. then also it has this cable fix so that you will not be able to pull the cabe out of the jack once the cover has been screwed on to the jack..
    You can also see the Cutins in the jacks SLEEVE this is also a kind of a spring to certify that the jack has a good hold on the female counter part

Ses picture ..on connections where it doesn't require this I use ESOTERIC jacks - as you see above the Grey ones - coming in black also - but now rather hard to get - Neutrik is much easier to buy than ESOTERIC - the price is about double for the neutrik but it pays itself off....[​IMG]

11. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

Is there a good vendor on the net to buy Acoustic Research or Monster cables that is reasonable?

For a 50ft set the sites I've come across run about $150 which is way more than I want to spend. This may be a fair price but if so I will either try a cheap pair and see what happens or just forget it for awhile.

Maybe also the Neutrik jacks - but then what brand of wire to go with it? This would probably be even more expensive though.

Thanks for your replies.

12. Hpro

I can't tell you about the cables as I don't live in the states - Monster is way to expensive - Acounstic Research is OK - it's highgrade Cable - try to find eihter REFERENCE OR WHIRLWIND both of those cables are ON STAGE CABLES - and have following features over the above named cables..

1.Double Shielding for RS-6 Reference Cable
    2.Nickel Coated Copper
    3.The best shielding I saw
    4.Lower Price - a meter is about 1.5 USD - and a meter has 3 FEET..
    5.Both of those Cables are Capacistance compensated - one thing you need if you go over distances of 7.5 meter in length..
    6.Instead of a thight Cable those cables are smooth heavy rubber cables and easy to lay out.. I'm sure Audioyoda knows about Whirlwind..american made..

As for the neutrik I just checked the price on them by the local dealer and it seems price has come down much since I bought the last ones about a year ago..
    Price is at 10USD a pair here right now.. Look for the PROFI RCA - there is only one or two choices of them - at least here..

The Neutrik will allow any cable to be fitted from a diameter of 3mm to 9mm as it has included Clamps (see the picture) which then will hold the cable ..

If you can find ESOTERIC jacks those ones are also good - in my first picture on the left side.. but are far more difficult to assemble and to make sure that you do not get a GROUND LOOP within the cable as those cables are soldered only at the lead and the Shield is folded back over the inside cover and then crunshed to the ground inside by assenbling the front GROUND part and screwing the COVER OVER IT..
    hth

13. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

Thanks Hpro - you are seemingly endless of knowledge. :)

I did some looking and didn't find exactly what I wanted. I did find site containing info on both whirlwind cables and neutrik connectors. The whirlwind cables look to available up to 25ft from the sites I found but maybe I will find one that has longer ones available. I haven't found a site here in the U.S that sells the PROFI neutrik connector. One site mentioned that the whilwind cable they were offering had neutrik connectors already on them but they were only 2 meters long.

I'll look some more and if anyone knows of some sites here in the US that carries the above mentioned that would be great!

14. lovitz

lovitz

AR is really thick stuff, I've seen there component video cables for DVD players and the stuff is almost un-bendable

15. audiyoda

audiyoda Banned

AR and Monster both have three grades of cables -- the highest grades from both are way too expensive for what you get.

When I bought my Outlaw reciever, they sent my Outlaw cables to try. I think they are some really fine cables -- especially for the price. You can check them out at http://www.outlawaudio.com

-Craig

16. archie

archie Member

Although the regular RCA cables are much cheaper than the specialty cables, I really don't know how long a regular RCA cable could be without it having interference ... usually these are about 10' in lenth ... part of that was covered above.
    In regards to the 'Stereo 1/8 Jack' [may also be known as a mini stereo jack], check to see if the black bulk of the adapter will fit near the sound card ... sometimes the edges get in the way. Also, they sometimes don't hold in as securely as a plain cable. There may be an 'wire adapter' available instead of the 'Stereo 1/8 Jack to RCA convertor'. Also, in case that's not obvious, on the 'Stereo 1/8 Jack to RCA convertor', note the two black bands on the mini male end ... stereo will have two and mono only has one.

17. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

Darn, according to the Outlawaudio site they do not sell cables over 1.8 meters and will not do special orders for longer cables in order to keep their costs down.

Still looking for other vendors.

Do you have any other vendor suggestions audiyoda?

Thanks.

18. Hpro

Brent do this - go to Radio SHACK and buy some decent Audio Cable - let them have to show you the inside of the cable a bit by using a cutter and removing say a CM of the rubbers etc so you will see the thickness of the lead.. then order or buy some good jacks.. - back home solder them together - more easy and fast and you know what you get...If you still like to get Neutrik RCA jacks then Here is their USA hompage and also sales departments all over USA..

19. PardeGT

PardeGT Mechanical Guru

You read my mind Chris. I was just thinking of that as I had checked out their website and didn't find it but thought maybe visiting the store might prove to be more fruitful.

Anyhow what thickness of lead should I be looking for? I think I will get 40-50 ft rca cable as I have a 50ft coaxial running from the entertainment center (where the stereo is) through the wall to the office that feeds the cable modem/router with a little coaxial left over.

20. Hpro

Ok you can't use Coax - if this is like 50 Ohm cable as this isn't suited for Audio..

Look at the picture and this explain you about the inside of the cable - good audio or line or intrument cable should have the about the same things involved as the one shows in the picture..

make sure that the cable is flexible..and easy to solder -- this cable here will not shrink nor will the plasic melt when soldering .. you can even press the solder Iron against the White plastic and it will not melt - OK if you leave the iron on there for a extended amount of time like 5 minutes then it will eventually get melting signs - but soldering normally is done within a few second - I mean less than 5 Seconds..but bad RCA will have the unfortunate thing of the plastic melting...
    Some few important points on making good cables are
    1.Applying a lot of Solder will COLOR the sound - I'm again Sure that Audioyoda can sing a song of COLORED SOUND when it comes to cables..
    2.Laying cables over a long distance - more than 7.5 Meter for line or microphone will add Capacistance to the cable decreasing the Actuall sound output of the cable - another kind of coloring the sound..
    3.To circumvent this it is advised to have the cable away from
    a.)the wall or the floor of about 3 inches - there are special Plasitc holders for those kind of wiring layout..
    b.) to prevent cables running in parallel to Phone lines or power lines or speaker cables..
    c.) to prevent of crossing those lines in distances of less than 10 cm several times..
    d.)keep channel a and channel b - Left and Right seperated by at least 5 Cm or 2 inches - this will get rid of Crossover talk between the channels..
    There is more but those ones are the most important and if you follow just a little tiny bit then you will be surprised what kind of good sound quality you get out of your computers Soundcard once played over the Homestereo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2002