Help with really old compaq...

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by sam21, Aug 3, 2002.

1. sam21

sam21

My dad just bought this compaq from a garage sale for 10 bucks...and it had some sort of old windows os that i didn't care for so i fomatted the comp and installed win98 the problem is i need a correct command line to enter,i've tried everything...
    win98...
    win...
    boot...
    startup...
    damn it i said boot!!!...
    and nothin' anyone know the correct command line?

2. sam21

sam21

oh yeah the compaq is a compaq presario cdtv 520...btw can i upgrade the processor,mobo,and such to this computer?

3. DrZaius

DrZaius

Hi sam21,

You need a boot disk to start the installation. Download it from here and it will copy the needed files to a floppy disk (do this on another system).

http://dos.li5.org/IMGS/WIN98SE.EXE

Startup the Compaq system with that disk in the drive, and then change to the CD drive (D: for example), and run SETUP.

And at most, you can upgrade the memory and hard drive, but not the other components. Since you got it for $10 it may not even be worth the hassle.

Hope that helps.

4. sam21

sam21

DrZaius,

i've already installed windows,i just gotta know the correct command line...

5. DrZaius

DrZaius

The correct command line to sartup Windows? That should be:

CD C:\WINDOWS
    WIN

If I remember correctly.

6. sam21

sam21

Aaargh i've tried that just now it's not it...this is stupid...i mean i've installe dwindows and the splash screen came up and i need a command line...why do i need a comand line?

7. sam21

sam21

can i add a nic?

8. DrZaius

DrZaius

What exactly happens when you startup the system? Does it go to the C: prompt?

And, if there is a PCI slot available, you can add a NIC.

9. sam21

sam21

this comp's weird...when i turn it on...it doesn't show me any bios info...all in does is count how many memory is available,beeps twice,splash screen shows,then a screen with microsoft windows on top comes up and then...

C\:...is there,this is where i'm having trouble...

10. DrZaius

DrZaius

Compaqs and other name brands usually don't show the POST screen, just the memory count and they jump directly into Windows. You need to edit the autoexec.bat file and add the command to start Windows right away. Like I said, last I recall it was WIN in the C:\Windows directory, but it's been a while since I've used Win9x.

11. sam21

sam21

how do i edit the file?

12. DrZaius

DrZaius

At the DOS prompt, type edit autoexec.bat and it will open up.

13. sam21

sam21

where or how do i get to the dos prompt?

14. sam21

sam21

and what do i do once i get there?

15. sam21

sam21

Does anybody else know anything about this?

16. tx2Step

tx2Step

Go to compaq.com, they have excellent info on just about all models of their computers online.

A word of warning, it may well be that the computer isn't capable of upgrading. I had an older Compaq that had win 3.1 and would not upgrade to 98 or even 95. Compaq makes good computers, I love the Presario models but they leave a lot to be desired in the bios systems. They assume the user doesn't have a clue on bios settings and so put limited bios settings within reach of the user.

When you get a c prompt type edit config.sys. See what's in it. The close that and do edit autoexec.bat. See what's in there. Other than this, if you don't see c:\win or c:\windows or something similar you may need to add the line to get it to boot.

My guess is it's not upgradeable. I spent seven hours one Saturday afternoon trying to upgrade a similar computer that wouldn't. Gave up and tossed it. Sometimes the other components just aren't up to an upgrade. And if you're gonna put all new guts in might as well buy a refurb that's upgradeable. Can get a good one at tigerdirect.com for $300

Texas2Step

17. sam21

sam21

18. tx2Step

tx2Step

Hey Sam the link comes up in a frame, which model is it? Looked at the first one listed and saw a couple of things that might make upgrading this computer to 98 difficult (but maybe not impossible)

did you by any off chance get any software whatsoever with it?

Texas2Step

19. sam21

sam21

it's the cdtv520....it had some sort of old windows os...prolly 3.1

20. sam21

sam21

"Hi sam21,

First, create a Win98 bootdisk like I described in my post. Then, start the system with the disk, and run format c: to format the drive. Then, type fdisk /mbr. After that, restart with the disk again (make sure to enable CD support), then change to the CD drive and run setup. Hope that helps, and feel free to make a post in the forum if you have any more questions"

DrZaius,
    when i run the comp with the disk and typed format c:...it tells me bad command line...typing fcisk/mbr,setup also does the same...