Guess what its cold and I need a Coat.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fudtone, Dec 7, 2005.

1. fudtone

fudtone Got Privilege?

What do you recomend? I live in Iowa and its about 0' here now and will be for the next couple months.

Everyone and there brother has a Columbia and I hate trendy things... Are they the best? What do you guys up north wear?
    Links pics I want it all... I might spend up nears $300 US if I find what I want.

2. FLG

FLG

3. (51)

(51)

I've had a Columbia for 7 years now so I'm not sure about a new "trend". The thing is well made and damn warm!!!

4. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

I have a Nautica coat (not sure if that link is to the same company). I believe it was around $200. It is very toasty. It has a Gor-Tex-Like technology called "Nautex" which works great. It's actually three coats in one. You can wear just the inner fleece, the outer wind jacket, or the two combined. I really like it.

5. thefultonhow

thefultonhow Retired Moderator

I have an L.L. Bean jacket and it works great. I got it for $100 and I don't see how the Columbias have any advantage over it. It is the shell/fleece design, and if it's above 35-40 degrees I'll only wear one or the other because it gets too hot.

The one thing that annoys me about it is that the sleeves of the fleece get all bunched up when you put the jacket on. I'm not sure whether or not the Columbia jackets have this problem.

EDIT: They've discontinued my particular model, but their new Wildcat Jacket seems to be similar. I got the Tall version; it works better overall for keeping in heat, but can be a bit awkward when you're sitting down.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  6. fudtone

fudtone Got Privilege?

Your in Florida! Not a new trend just seems trendy.

LLBean looks cool though I will look at those as well.

Nuatica I'm sure also makes a very nice coat... the web site only shows a jacket that I can find there.

I am looking and have not ruled out Columbia just want options and hoping to find some.

I have a few friends that say if the Columbia is not the higher end models ($250+) they are really not that warm.

7. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

I've been wearing an Eddie Bauer down parka for the last 10 years. I don't have to add any extra lining until it gets around -20f. It was pricey back then so it is probably around $450 now.

8. tigstah

tigstah

a big heavy leather coat.
    have had it for 4 years now...i love it.
    i want another coat like the columbia, when i am out taking pics in the cold morning air.

9. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Certified Audio Nut

I can't either. I tried Google and came up with nothing. My coat is a "Nautica Competition". Maybe they are not around anymore or simply don't have a website.

10. lil Jimmie

lil Jimmie HOT ROD

It was 14'F last night and tonight calls for 6'F :eek: been wearing my levi's jean jacket without lining....might break out the leather in the morn. I usually get by with the jean jacket during the winter.

11. sgtspector

sgtspector

I have a Columbia Whirlibird (I think thats the name) jacket. They dont make this one anymore but the liner is a thick, quilted zip-in liner filled with an unknown material. It is kindy bulky but its warm as all get out.

12. bizzle44

bizzle44

lots of people here have columbias, but the real big company is north face. i have one, its awesome, its been around 20 degrees F here last couple weeks and ive actually sweated walking to class in it. but it does keep the moisture away from you too, great coat.

13. fudtone

fudtone Got Privilege?

Good call I have been checking out the North Faces as well and they look like a sweet spot.

14. HAL9000

HAL9000

I've never been one for a single "warm" coat... layers has always been the best form of warmth. Today, I have a shirt, a fleece pullover, then my plain old leather jacket... plenty warm.. if I'm too warm, I can remove a layer if necessary.

15. Litespeed

Litespeed

16. Stuey

Stuey Defenestrator

I've had a NorthFace Vortex for about a year now and I love it. I was looking at Columbia jackets and Eddie Bauer but I've had an EB jacket before and I had to return it b/c the sleeve stitching came out and then it came out again on the replacement. As for why I chose a NorthFace over Columbia... I liked the NF inner liner better. I wear it alone sometimes in the Fall and Spring when I'm not wearing the EB jacket or a sweatshirt.

In addition, the hood is detachable but it's a very good hood. On ost of the other coats I saw, the hood was either flimpsy or thin material that folds up and zips into the hood. Beware the a NF coat is rather expensive, but if you look at it as a several year investment, you'll enjoy it well and never regret it. For the same amount of money, you can buy a nice leather jacket or a business-type heavy long coat.

17. Litespeed

Litespeed

Oh yea all North Face products, except their shoes, have a lifetime warranty. And I have numerous NF products and I have followed up on the warranty a few years back and they replaced it with a new one.

18. fudtone

fudtone Got Privilege?

Great input yall!

I'm looking for a coat so warm my feet dont get cold 8)

19. jayb1234

jayb1234

If you need one for working outside, look at Carhartt, among the best. They have some pretty nice regular looking coats too.

20. MakeYourslf2012

MakeYourslf2012

I agree, The North Face makes some high quality products (I'm sportin' one of their fleeces in the Members gallery!). Check out some camping stores - they usually have the best selection when it comes to warm coats.

Some good brand are:
    -The North Face
    -Padagonia
    -Columbia
    -REI
    -Marmot

I can garantee from experience that all coats from these companies will last and are plenty warm for that weather. I've used North Face and Marmot gear in backpacking trips in Michigan winters and was very warm.