Getting to know you

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by quartet-man, Jun 27, 2010.

1. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I have been here off and on for several years, but don't really know people here that well. I thought people could give whatever info they were comfortable with and maybe we would remedy that to some degree.

My name is Terry. I am a full-time church music director and I work a retail job as a second job.

EDIT: I posted this in a hurry this morning (had to get to church :) ) I will add a few things. I used Apple 2C's and I believe E's in a class for a semester in High School and in 1989 got an Amiga 500 with 1 meg (added memory) to do databasing and midi musical print arrangements. I got my first PC in 2000. I used to collect Super Hero Comics, but haven't done that for 15 years. I collect gospel albums (mostly male quartets), CD's, 45's, memorabilia and a few 78's, EP's etc. I do have some other genres, but as far as lp's I look for things not released on CD and mostly Southern Gospel. I live in Indiana. I had previously been into retail management and am glad to almost entirely be out of retail. :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. BigRed CC Dually

BigRed CC Dually

My name is Richard "Rick", I am a retired and widowed civilian engineering tech from Wright Patterson AFB. Check in here several times a day to keep up with online family/pals. This is one of the best run forums I visit.

3. HAL9000

HAL9000

Dave, previously a computer tech for 10 years, then MasterCard customer service rep and fraud analyst until I was laid off... I'm now an electrical engineering student.

4. MaxRat

MaxRat Tweak Monster Staff Member

My Name is Terry too....

I am currently a general construction contractor....I have been for the last 15 years and employed in the field prior to that.

I also run a small Auto shop on the side that hasnt done a single job in the last 6 years...I went to school for auto mechanics in high school and wanted to be an engine builder...

I have done a great many engines and got into building cars as a hobby....I lost interest when the owner of the last car I built died a few short months after the cars completion...the owner was also a contractor that I sub'd from int eh construction business...

the car was a 1983 Chevy El Camino...I built a 400 small block with a short duration cam and a dual 4 barrel low rise intake with dual 500cfm carbs...the engine made 450hp and with an overdrive tranny it was fun to drive.... He had gotten lou gehrig's disease durring teh build and only lived about 6 month as it spread very rapid....

I got into computers in 2000 went I bought a Compac AMD K6-2 500mhz prebuilt as a refurb...it idnt last long and I wanted to build my own and joined here when I decided to actually learn about computers...

Now I do that on the side and I work at some PC related forums as well as a few car forums...

I am on my second marriage and I have 9 children with 1 on the way due in October for #10...we got the whole her's, mine and ours...this will be my 8th Biological child

thats about it

5. strollin

strollin

I'm Bruce, spent the first 12-13 years of my career as an electronics technician. When I became a mgr in 1984, they showed me my office with desk and PC. I had never used a PC before then but quickly taught myself to use it, then decided to buy my own. I liked it so much that I ended up switching careers and became a programmer. I've been in the software business for 24 years now and I'm currently employed as a sr software engineer at a large software company.

I've been married to the same woman for 37 years and we have 4 adult kids that are all currently attending college. 3 of them still live at home.

We have an RV and try to get out at least 1 weekend a month in it. Besides RVing, my other hobby is collecting vintage computers.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  6. quartet-man

Interesting everyone. I added some other stuff in mine that I either didn't think of or didn't have time for this morning. :)

7. rwest

rwest

Great idea Terry,

I'm Robert. Good ol' southern boy at heart, but I haven't lived in dixie for over twenty years!

After a four year bit in the Army I've sold shoes, worked security, tried sales, did lawncare and landscape work, installed underground sprinkler systems, floorcare and custodial work, shipping and receiving distribution, typewriter/fax and copier repair, specialized inventory warehousing, retail and photo lab work. I am currently starting a new job tomorrow morning in distribution inventory.

I did go to school for Electronic Engineering Technology, but life took over and I never finished. I learned computers on my own when my first hdd died about ten years ago. Been hooked ever since.

I do most my own auto repairs and I think I can fix just about anything. If it's broke I want to take it apart and see why.

I'm married to the same gal over 15 years, and haven't got shot or wanted to shoot her yet.:D (some days maybe) Got two kids, a dog, my dream grill, a truck, and a huge recliner in front of my widescreen tv. I'm okay. Life's workin';)

I love to shoot pool, watch movies, do leathercraft and tinker with computers.

8. Strider

Strider

I'm currently unemployed, worked 19 years as a Color Matcher (Shader) for an automotive paint manufacturer. Gone back to school to get an associate degree in Computer Graphics: Interactive Media and Game Design. I should have done this when I was younger (finishing college), but it's better later than never I guess. Oh My name is John. I think PCMech forums is one of the best there is on the web for building and troubleshooting computer problems. I'm an amateur photographer; although my camera is in the shop getting repaired right now.:(

9. Kuch

Kuch

My name is Scott, but everyone calls me Kuch (pronounced Kooch) because when you have a Polish last name with 10 letters, it’s just easier to shorten it.

I’ve been in the USAF for 18+ years and work in Security Forces (military police). I plan to retire right after I hit 20 years and get a job in law enforcement.

I bought my first computer in 1995 when I was in Korea. It was an AST, with a 1 Gig HDD and a 100 MHZ Pentium. It was screaming for the time and I can remember a friend of mine telling me I’d never fill up a HDD that big.

I enjoy repairing computers for friends and relatives and I’ll even build them from time to time. I used to be heavily in to gaming but a wife and son have replaced that outlet. I enjoy MMA and relaxing with a good book or movie.

10. quartet-man

Wow, it is interesting to see the vast variety of people and backgrounds here. No wonder why there is such knowledge here and yet a lot of nice, quality people here.

11. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Tanker Yanker

My name is Chris, I'm currently in my 5th yr as a truck driver. I haul water to and from the oil and gas fields here in Texas. I use to work for a factory up north CT, that made none woven papers for lots of things. Such as head liners in cars, Clorox cleaning wipes, baby wipes, surgical gowns in the medical field.

I have build only a hand full of computers in the last 8ys or so mostly for family. I do on occassion fix them for friends or co-workers. I have been married to a woundeful women (Karen) for the last 23yrs. We meet on her front door step on day back in 97. Engaged in two weeks, married after 6 months, and almost died in a horrific car wreck a little over a month after our wedding. We have two grown daughters (Amanda 19) (Krystal 21).

12. Dave in Houston

Dave in Houston

My name is Dave, and I live in the Houston area. (I live in one of the Southwest suburbs and work in one of the east suburbs.)

I'm a chemical engineer designing and implementing advanced process control applications for chemical plants and refineries. The work is quite interesting. I sing in an a cappella quartet for another kind of creative outlet. Quartet-man, maybe we could trade some arrangements.

My youngest kid, a son, just graduated from high school, and moved to Florida the next day for a summer job at Disney. He'll attend Texas A&M in the fall. He also wants to be a chemical engineer. My daughter is in graduate school at UT in Austin.

Best regards to all my PCMech friends and acquaintances!

Dave

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  13. raftero

raftero

i'm claude, i live in a small ranching town in the hill country of tx.,i was raised in the oil fields in west tx. in 1951 as soon as i turned 18 i joined the navy , the navy trained me to be an air traffic controller and when i got out in 1955 i applied for and got a job with the then caa now faa where i worked at Ft.Worth artcc , Little Rock approach control (tower), was chief of the facility at Hobbs NM for a while then ended up at San Antonio approach control where i retired with 25 yrs gov. air traffic plus 4 military which counted toward retirement so a total of 29 years active air traffic , i was almost 48 at the time. growing up i ranched and farmed for other people and during my time working i almost always had a place leased to run cattle and horses so after retirement i bought a small place and leased another larger one and went into ranching , among other things i raised ,and trained reg. quarter horses and was a ranch manager for an absentee ranch owner until his death about 4 yrs ago. i developed hip problems which caused mounting horses painful so i sold out and retired again. i had a successful hip operation and now do what ever i want too, like weld, piddle with computers , hunt, fish etc. i have been married for 56rys and have 5 daughters and one son, all are doing well , i have 15 grand children and 17 great grand children. i also attend a small congregation of the church of Christ and do the preaching there. going to my 60th class reunion in a couple of weeks at Sundown TX.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  14. trulad

trulad

My name is Bob and after serving 3 years in the Marines during the Korean war I worked for several years as a wheel alignment technician and truck frame straightener. I joined the volunteer fire co. in 1955 and served 17 years as Chief. In 1979 I started my own Company selling and servicing fire equipment as well as selling fire trucks.I truly loved selling fire trucks because I got to meet the best people in the world. I retired from that and sold my business in 2007 . My first computer was a $15.00 yard sale Mac that used the 5-1/2" floppys to run and a program floppy for each program. I was hooked and what a thrill it was to buy a used computer with a big 512mb. hard drive and 8mb. of ram.Later I began,with the help of this forum , building my own and soon friends were asking me to build for them. At 79 years of age my Grandkids call me "cybergeezer".In 1972 I became a PA State Certified Fire Instructor and have been active teaching fire suppression classes for the County Fire Training School and the Community college. I have been doing that for 38 years and I still love teaching a group of young firefighters that simply want to help their community. I have 3 children and two step-daughters and many grand children and great grand children. I have been truly blessed to be able to do the things I have done.

15. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

Hi, my name is Steve and I’m a forum junkie.

Many moons ago I went on line looking for a solution. I was so impressed with the response I got on the forum called NoWonder that I hung around. Today I post on a total of nine sites – five of which I also moderate.

In real life I’m in my 14th year of doing tech support for an accounting software company. The software is for a specific industry and I was in that industry for 16 years – mainly doing accounting work....Go Figure.

I’m 55 years old and am a Prostate Cancer Survivor. If you’re over forty and haven’t been screened for Prostate Cancer – DO IT Soon:cool:

16. orbrit

orbrit

I'm Steve and I live in Eugene, OR. I was born and raised in England, and moved here about 10 years ago.
    I'm a self employed technology consultant specializing in healthcare information systems and provide network support, installation and integration services for medical clinics and small hospitals in Oregon.
    I've been married 10 years and have two amazing kids, age 4 and 5.
    I got into IT after serving as an infantry platoon commander in the RAF. The first job that came along was an IT helpdesk position for Nissan Motor GB. I stayed there 3 months - was bored out of my mind after 2, and found I had an aptitude for troubleshooting.
    I somehow managed to get a job in London as the network administrator for a large telecoms company with 300 employees in 3 sites in London, 5000 employees across Europe. I was suddenly thrust into a near vertical learning curve, with 17 Windows NT servers, Exchange, Cisco routers, Firewalls, ISDN, E1s and a whole bunch of other new (to me) technology.
    My first project was a complete overhaul and rollout of NT 4 workstation to all 300 users in my London sites. I replaced half the servers in my first 2 months and after we rolled out NT4 (using Ghost) my job got very easy. IT used to be a bad word and now we (me and my 1 desktop support tech) were heroes. I then got sent to Paris, Brussels and Madrid to do the same thing I had done in London.

I left that job (sadly) to move to Oregon to get married. I love the change of pace - I got a job immediately as a network engineer for an integrator and was put to work on Citrix and our bigger enterprise clients. I installed a 22 server farm for Deschutes county.

Started working for myself 8 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Built my first PC this year, for gaming. All my other work was based more on the OS and networking so never go much into hardware.

Here is my daughter checking out the blue LEDs on my new build.
    [​IMG]

17. flanzig1

flanzig1 Wrench Bender

My name is Craig. Came to PCMech because it was mentioned on one of the shows on the old TechTV network. I've worked in the medical imaging field for 30 years and it has been a blast. I've worked for small dealers, the big OEMs and in-house. I got interested in computers because medical imaging was just started to use computers(PCs) so I figured I better get up to speed on these things. Today, just about every unit I install uses a PC to control the equipment and to process the digital image(x-ray). Our company uses LogMeIn for remote service on about a 160 systems and have a couple systems up to 400 miles away from the office. Fixing things over the phone is sure easier than a 12 hour round trip drive.

18. quartet-man

Thanks. I am a cancer survivor too, but not prostate. I had it a few years ago before I was even 40.

19. rwest

rwest

She's just a Cutie Pie! I bet those eyes just cut right thru dad.

20. orbrit

orbrit

they sure do!