Gateway Error PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE CHECK CABLE

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by shadow_man, Dec 12, 2003.

1. shadow_man

shadow_man

I was at te nursing home this PM visiting a friend and one of the residents haa a Gateway computer and it start and show the gateway logo and the show this error:

PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE

He yold me that a friend of his had got into the BIOS and it did not show a HHD.

I didn't have any tools with me to open it up and check the cable to the HHD. I did put his operating system disk in the CD and the XP install program loaded. I did not run the restore or the install program at that time, I just F3'd out of the install.

Any ideas??

shadow_man

2. Blakhart

Blakhart Banned

PXE is for network booting, the cable it refers to is the network cable. Go into bios and disable pxe. If it doesn't see a hdd, there is another prob.

3. shadow_man

shadow_man

Such as a HHD gone south??

shadow_man

4. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

If a HD is not detected in the BIOS, besides a cable not fully plugged in, a hard drive that "went south" as you say, could be the reason. Reply back when you disable PXE and tell us if that worked or not.

5. andyms18a

andyms18a

looks like first boot device is set to network in the bios or the hdd has gone and its looking for a operatin system to load

6. shadow_man

shadow_man

Thanks for the info guys. I won't be able to get to the computer til tomorrow. After I do, will report back here.

Thanks,

shadow_man

7. shadow_man

shadow_man

Here's the latest. I got into the BIOS, it shows a Maxtor Athena HHD, then went to the boot section and diabled the PXE as the first boot device. The problem I am having is that there is no HD for which to select for a boot device, only the CD, floppy, and an IBA 4.0.19 Slot 0220????

All of the options tried for a boot returrns the same error as elluded at the begining of this post. I did not look for a manual on the setting in the BIOS and what they mean.

Gateways' web site is no help on this problem.

shadow_man

8. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

Do you have an OS installed on the Maxtor?

*EDIT*
    Oh, you can't see the Maxtor HD for a boot option? There's no IDE0 choice is there?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2003
  9. shadow_man

shadow_man

I have no idea. I assume it's there. to find out I would have to access the hard Drive..

shadow_man

10. Blakhart

Blakhart Banned

If the hdd power cable is inserted into its socket, wiggle it to make sure the pins are in contact. I have seen this stop a drive before. Then try the drive in another box to see if it id's and/or a different ide cable.

11. shadow_man

shadow_man

I took my MaxBlast disk and booted it and altho the BIOS said a Maxtor Athena, it did not show in the system. The CD ROM showed but no HD. It showed thw CPU, BIOS manufacture, and the CD ROM.

The cables, both power and data, were disconnected and reconnected with the same result.

It sort of looks like the HD died.

shadow_man

12. andyms18a

andyms18a

It sort of looks like the HD died.

yep

13. mzgiva

mzgiva

Installed an aditonal cd/dvd drive and now wheni try to start up I keep gettin PXE-E61: Media test failure, Check cable. PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM What am I to do?

14. DragonNOA1

DragonNOA1 Member

Quick List:

Check cable connections (reseat),
    Check jumpers on hard drive for Master/Slave or CS settings,
    Check BIOS settings for boot order,
    And lastly have your BIOS rescan your HD or reset your BIOS to defaults.

Good Luck.

15. shadow_man

shadow_man

Wow. I guess I should of responded as to the solution back in 2003. Gateway replaced the HHD as it was under warrenty.

Thanks to all of ypou for your input.

shadow_man

16. Edward TJ Brown

Edward TJ Brown

Hello

I have a Gateway Laptop computer. I know very little about comptuers so I hope that some one can explain the solution.

When I turn on the computer it takes me to a blank screen that says;

PXE-E61: Media Test Failed check cable
    PXE-M0F:Exiting Boot Agent

It can not be the hard drive because I just bought a new hard drive. My old hard drive died on me this past fall (during my University final exams week). Hence I been trying to re-install my Windows XP and Drivers from the wonderful Blue and Red colored CD's that came with the computer.

If anyone can help me out please reply or send an email directly to me.

17. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Hello Edward and welcome to PC Mech, in order to help you better please start a new thread in this forum: http://forum.pcmech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44 copy and paste what you have written above into a new thread in the forum I have linked you to.