For anyone thinking about getting Bioshock 2...

Discussion in 'Gaming and Benchmarks' started by Force Flow, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

...wait a while. It's got a lot of bugs and places the game will crash, mainly on the PC, since it's a console port.

Also, you need a Games For Windows Live (GFWL) account to play the game---even in single player mode.

As you can imagine, there are a lot of unhappy gamers right now.

One of my biggest annoyances is that the key binding is flat out wrong. An message may pop up on the screen that says "Press F to do this", and you actually have to press MOUSE1 or "R" instead. It makes no sense whatsoever. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. David M

David M Techphile.

Its always interesting how some games are released before they are truly ready.

I'm glad you mentioned the Games for Windows Live. For me, that rules out getting the game. Too bad. I tried setting up on one of those accounts years ago. I could never get it to work. I'm not interested in buying yet another $50-$60 non-refundable game that may not work for me. Its a crime how the gaming software industry is able to sell a product where if it does not work and your system meets or exceeds their requirements, there is no refund.

3. ryuk999

ryuk999

For me games for windows live is not a problem at all considering I just used my old expired Xbox live gamertag. However, the key bindings sounds like it'd be a bug :eek: hopefully it'll be solved in the near future. Has anyone played Battlefield bad company 2 beta? I'm lovin it so far. <-- don't mean to hijack this post :D

4. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

Yeah...if I caught that fact before I actually bought it, I wouldn't have actually bought it. I spent a few hours trying to get the GFWL "feature" working before I could actually start playing :mad:

This is what it says under "other requirements" for the game on the steam store page:
    I would think that single-player mode would not require this since it's not...well... *online*

5. Extremerc12

Extremerc12

I feel your pain with G4WL. The question would have to be why did they decide this was a good idea? To combat the pirating of games? In any event, there is a patch out there that allows you to eliminate G4WL. Unfortunately, this is the only way I can get my copy of Fallout 3 GOTY to even run. Oh yea, I remember the reasoning for G4WL and DLC, its something called greed is it not?

6. pam123

pam123 Computing Professor Staff Member

Thanks for the "heads up" I"ll skip BioShock 2.

A pity since I downloaded the first game from Steam during the Dec. sale and I'm really enjoying it.

7. David M

David M Techphile.

Yup...the first Bioshock is a great game! Microsoft could not leave well enough alone and had to find a way to screw that up. Too bad for them as well, they could have sold more games.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. tomster2300

tomster2300 I like monkeys

Agreed, Bioshock 1 was quite the adventure. Too bad about the sequel. I guess all good things must come to an end (albeit it a premature end).

9. tigstah

tigstah

no biggie, never played the first one

10. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Gremlin Overlord

Haven't played the first one yet... it's on the 'to acquire' list when it's about $20.

Any single player game that requires me to be online won't get a run, the only time I play games is away from home with no uplink.