Floppy Drive Technology

Discussion in 'Online Security' started by RKC, Feb 9, 2001.

1. RKC

RKC

Here is some great news that may allow everyone to keep those "obsolete" 1.44 mb floppies. It sounds promising to be able stuff more data and files on them!

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41716,00.html

I edited this to make the link work - glc

[Edited by glc on 02-10-2001 at 02:54 AM]

2. Statica

Statica

My only question is who is this bloke who claimed floppies to be stable in their current state of existence? I think they are so dubious in reliability.. random errors
    & so what if Matsu****a can cram more stuff into a floppy, notice of there is NO MENTION of the speed of writing or retrieving. it takes about 2 min to get 1.44 MB of data from that pesky floppy to the hard drive, imagine 32MB of data!
    I still say R.I.P. to floppies...
    Now if only LS120 were cheaper.

<HR><SUB><B>Addendum</B>:
    :) You must apologize for my swearing earlier .. the system wont allow my loose tongue, eh .. lets try it again
    M A T S U S H I T A

[Edited by Ex-Static-Cling on 02-11-2001 at 11:08 AM]

3. mairving

mairving

Yeah the floppy is dead. Long live the floppy. It does seem that it is very durable. The zip drive couldn't kill it. Neither could the LS120. But I can see myself without one in the next few years. Bootable CD's and CD-RW's, I think will finally kill it. I can count on one hand the amount of bad CD's that I have. I would have to take off my shoes and then some to count all the bad floppies over the years.

4. underfunded

underfunded

I built my latest computer four months ago and it hasn't had a floppy drive in it at all. Gotta love those bootable cd's and my cdrw... after all. A CDR is only about 30-40 cents if you buy them right. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things.