Firefox not saving homepage

Discussion in 'Software Discussion & Support' started by rclaxx14, Jun 4, 2009.

1. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

hey,

I've tried to change my homepage with firefox and it's just not saving it. every time i exit out of it, it has my previous homepage. can anyone help me??

2. Force Flow

Force Flow Barefoot on the Moon! Staff Member

when you change it, hit apply and ok. Then hit the "home" button to test it.

3. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

yea i tried that, i changed my home page, applied it, pressed home and it worked but as soon as i exited out and reopened firefox it comes up as my old homepage

4. Khalil

Khalil 计算机超级技术

You might want to remove Firefox then download the newest version and re-install it.

5. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it with the latest version and it's still doing the same thing. what now?

6. Khalil

Khalil 计算机超级技术

Looks like you may have a malware issue.

7. shadowpr

shadowpr I like me

Do you have spywareblaster, or spybot installed? If so, I think they have homepage locking features that you would have to change.

8. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

I just checked the settings of spybot and spywareblaster, neither was restricting changes to the homepage settings. Also, I ran spybot and my antivirus software and found no threats from either. I really don't know what to do now.

9. Panama Red

Panama Red If I'm not here, I may be cruisin'! Staff Member

Try changing the Internet Explorer home page and see if that one works. If so, I would think the issue lies with FF. If IE won't change either, I'd suspect a malware issue.

10. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

IE worked fine! what the f... its FF's issue

11. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

So I tried to dig into this issue a little deeper by going to about:config and manually editing the homepage. I edited it to what I want my homepage to and as soon as i close FF it resets to my previous homepage. Here's what my about:config looks like (attached)

Attached Files:

• FF.JPG
      FF.JPG
      File size:
      47.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Sycoe

Sycoe

Mine is the same as yours and mine remembers. I see that you have facebook as your default page. My default is in the same place in about:config so it may not be a FF issue. Still may be spyware.

I use a bookmark as my default so it opens many tabs at once. Just something to check that you don't have a bookmark save rather than what you want as default.

Also what does it defaut back to after you set your homepage?

13. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

it does the same thing when i press restore to default. it defaults to google.

14. mikeL

mikeL

Your prefs.js file may be corrupt, navigate to your profile folder and rename the prefs.js file to prefs.jsOld then restart firefox a new prefs.js file will be written. See if that fixes your problem.

15. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

I dont know if i did this right but i went to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile then i renamed the prefs.js file to prefs.jsOld.js. Also i tried copying and deleting it but a new .js file was not made. The homepage still wont change either.

16. mikeL

mikeL

All you have to do is restart firefox, and it should replace the prefs.js file.

17. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

i did restart firefox, it never replaced it

18. mikeL

mikeL

Try creating a new profile, close firefox then go to Start > Run > then type firefox -P this will bring up the profile manager then create a new profile if asked don't import any book marks, add-ons etc. go to Tools > Options > then see if the new profile will save your home page

19. rclaxx14

rclaxx14

FINALLY i got it to work. i think the setup file i downloaded was corrupted or something. so i uninstalled FF, redownloaded the set up file and what do ya know it works. thanks for all your help tho everyone!

20. mjkovis

mjkovis I don't computer.

Very nice! I've been keeping up with this thread and I was just about to offer that suggestion.