Error on Dell: Alert! Air temperature sensor not detected

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by faulkner132, Apr 14, 2010.

1. faulkner132

faulkner132 Come in Ray...

Building on my previous thread: http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214360
    I ordered an Optiplex 745 motherboard off eBay and then plugged in my old components from the GX620 machine and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit runs beautifully.

The only problem I have is when the system first boots up, I get the error:
    Alert! Air temperature sensor not detected
    Press F1 to continue and F2 to enter setup

There is no way to disable this warning (confirmed with Dell), so whenever the system reboots F1 must be manually pressed (a problem if working remotely).

If I press F1, the system runs fine. The case fan seems to run at full speed the whole time (I guess because it can't determine the temperature to throttle itself), but overall the system is very stable.

I did a bit of testing using an existing 745 we have and after swapping out case fans, I found that this component is not the problem: the fan from the GX620 system works with no error in the other 745 system and the fan from the 745 gives the same error in the new 745 system.

So the problem is either:
    1. a faulty motherboard
    2. a result of GX620 case components not being fully compatible with the 745 motherboard
    I want to see if anyone who has any experience with something like this has some feedback on what you think the cause may be.

2. oryx

oryx

3. rjameson

rjameson

Was this issue ever resolved? Am doing the same - 745board on ebay into gx620 case. Do we need to replace the fan module or pcb to get fan speed down? If not - I think I will attempt a CAP replace on the old board.

Ron

4. tedlou

tedlou

The problem is the I/O board. The board in the front where the power button is. I've seen the problem twice and both times it was that &$%#@ I/O board. If you have a 745, the I/O board must be from a 745, not a 620.

Good luck,
    Ted

5. Brandon31

Brandon31

I have the same problem as Faulkner but on a Dell Optiplex 320. I just ordered a I/O board and switched it out hearing it was the problem. Not a change at all. Anyone able to help?