Dvr

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by quartet-man, May 10, 2010.

1. quartet-man

quartet-man Saved by grace

I have a Pioneer DVR and an analog TV I bought at the same time. Now Comcrap requires the digital adaptors to work. I installed them which was a bit annoying because after getting everything hooked up and calling for activation, I find out that I can't have the add on devices (VCR, DVR etc.) connected until activated. Had I known that, I would have had it much easier than having to do it twice on 2 of the 3 TVs.

Anyhow, after activation, the DVR will play, but not record so far since the cable is connected into the box. I am worn out from lack of sleep and a tough couple of days, so someone please confirm for me whether it is possible to use a DVR and its separate tuner to record once the signal leaves the box. Thanks.

2. rwest

rwest

You said comcast requires digital adapters. I'm assuming a converter box.

So is this your set up?

DVR/ converter box/analaog tv

or more like this

coverter box/DVR/analog tv

If its the latter, then your only getting analog pass thru on your DVR. It won't be able to record.

If the DVR is first, then it's gotta be your connections on the DVR.

The other thing is, if your getting an analog signal from Comcast, the DVR will never work. But then you wouldn't need the adapters.

Another thing that may go into play with digital; how many comcast boxes did you get? One for each tv? Or did you spilt off the output of one of thier boxes? Did you use rg6 or the old rg59?

3. quartet-man

Yeah, it is outside cable / converter box / dvr / analog tv. I got three boxes from Comcast (one for each tv/)

So, if the signal (now digital) goes to the dvr before the box, will I be able to record? I guess that makes sense and the analog conversion wouldn't need to happen until I needed to view.

As far as cable, the years old existing cable from outside is used. The adapter came with cable which I used to go to the tv from the box.

The directions show the cable going to the box first, liker I have it and the TV out to the DVR, then of course out from the DVR to the TV.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. KAD

KAD

When you say DVR are you talking a dual tuner one from comcast? Or are you talking about one of those DVD recorders. I Googled for a Pioneer DVR and couldn't even find one still being sold. Looked at Pioneer website and the links I tried were busted.
    I work for Comcrap California and we only have Motorola DVR's here.
    There shouldn't really be a problem once the digital cable is converted to analog. But I doubt the dual tuner would work.
    You can have your other hardware hooked up during activation as long as the converter is connected to the outside cable before the other things. People on the phone don't know what they are talking about. There is a return frequency (signal that has to go back on the cable ) and that is why the converter must be first. These converters and all cable box's are IP based.
    Were you using this DVR before?

5. quartet-man

I had the DVR before. It, like a VCR has its own tuner. It worked fine until I added the Motorolla
    Digital Transport Adapter. Now, the only way to record is to have the DVR set on channel 3 and the box set to the channel I want to record. Pioneer 520H

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...ioneerDVDPlayers+Recorders/ci.DVR-520H-S.Kuro

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../109033015OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS DVR-520H.pdf

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  6. KAD

KAD

That looks like a nice DVR.
    I'm sure you looked at page 17 of the pdf. If the dvr does not block the upstream signal this might work. It talks about how to record the scrambled channels and you would be able to use both tuners.
    I think these kind of problems are why TIVO went with the cable card solution.
    Good luck these things can be frustrating.

7. rwest

rwest

1.If the tv has to be on ch 3, then your not using the AV inputs. The only thing your getting is from the coax input.

2.Internal switching on the tv may be an issue. Try disconnecting the coax and see if the the tv will use it's internal switdhing to pickup the inputs.

3.You may have to use the AV out(not the coax)s in order to view the recorded material. You will needd an RF modulator for this to work with your tv.

8. quartet-man

I'm going to try that, Kad. It is in a tight place hard to get to, but I am going to try to give it a shot. If not, I guess I am buying a new tv. :-(

9. quartet-man

Rwest, I was referring to the DVR has to be on ch. 3 to get the signal from the box. I can watch things from the DVR using the channel of the input I have it hooked up in the TV.

10. KAD

KAD

Did that work? Looked like a pretty good diagram. Just curious .
    I don't know if a new tv would do it. Comcast is scrambleing most digital channels these days, except major networks that want their channels broadcast free. It might be cheaper to buy a TIVO and even the new comcast DVR's work really good.:)

11. quartet-man

Kad, the adapter was gotten because the TV is not digital and they are changing all the channels totally digital (supposedly are sending both ways now.) Last night I was pressed for time, so I hooked up and bypassed the box for now so I can continue recording. I will finish messing with it later. Thanks to you and others for the help, advice and empathy. :) The Pioneer is nice because I can burn to DVD too.

12. quartet-man

Well, I finally tried hooking the cable into the DVR first, then into the box and then the TV. It didn't work. I am still dealing with the analog signal for now while we are getting both. I suppose I will have to try a new digital TV and not use the adapter at all. At least my understanding was that I wouldn't need it if I had a digital TV, but I want to confirm that first. I also can't remember when the switchover is supposed to take effect. It and some other issues are enough to make me want to change to satellite. It isn't convenient to at the moment, but with the way things are going, I am giving it strong thoughts.

13. KAD

KAD

Did you follow the diagram on page 17 of the .pdf you posted the link for?

If you still have analog signal then what do you need the DTA for? What has changed that you needed this box? More channels? What happens when you go cable direct to your TV? Do you still have picture?
    A doubt a new tv is going to help you. Satellite is all digital and requires a box too. They also encrypt their programming so you can't just use a digital TV to watch things you don't pay for.

Maybe you should call Geeksquad or what ever they are called now to save you the headache of hooking this up yourself.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  14. rwest

rwest

Q-man the changeover to digital has already taken place. It never-ever had anything to do with the cable companys. This change over was applicable to over-the-air broadcasts only. Some of the cable companies were using the publics mis-information to get thier analog customers over to digital. They weren't telling their customers that the analog signal that is supplied to them is and was not regulated by the federal mandate.

KAD he is paying for it.:) Sounds like more ways than one. He already said he's got three boxes from comcast.

Q-man it appears your not going to be able to use your DVR the way you want to. It sounds like you want to use the channel switching provided by the DVR, so you can watch one program and record another. I believe the problem lies in the decoding by comcasts cable box, your DVR just can't do it. It's propietary stuff, comcast won't allow it. They want you to rent thier DVR. You can record only what comcast's box puts out, beit whatever channel you select.

Oh you could set up a system using an 'A'-'B' switch and a splitter, but you would need to two of thier boxes in the loop. You would have to split the signal before their box. If you really want to do this I can go into detial if you'd like.

A new DTV will not help your DVR decode the comcast signal.

15. quartet-man

Thanks Rwest I just now saw your reply. I could probably figure out the 2 box scenario, but unfortunately, I would probably have to rent one as we are already using the 3 they will provide. Would dish have the same problems. I am tempted to switch between that and other problems I am having with the Comcast. It worked fine until the changeover. I realize that the government forced the change to digital and yet there has to be another solution and it is working fine as long as they send both signals (which they are going to stop doing as part of their "upgrade.") If Dish isn't an option (or Direct TV) would Uverse work? Right now I am not eligible for it, but when I am I might go that route especially if it would work with my DVR and the problems I am having with the channels were not issues..

16. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, you are best served with the DVR's offered by the cable and satellite companies as part of their digital packages.

17. quartet-man

The deal is, this one has the hard drive AND will burn DVD's. That and the fact that I own it are the appeals. :)