dvdrw burner prices

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Automation' started by the 6th jackson, Jan 19, 2004.

1. the 6th jackson

the 6th jackson

anyone have any idea when dvd/rw burner prices will drop.....It's really buggin me on why their so high.......o yea.... and when mini ipod prices will drop too.

Thanks

2. morriswindgate

morriswindgate Banned

$100.00 is too high?

3. the 6th jackson

the 6th jackson

well considering cd burners are in the 30's yea

4. morriswindgate

morriswindgate Banned

OfficeMax has one that after rebates is $69.99

5. SonicVanguard

SonicVanguard Audio/Video Expert

Come on now...you're talking about totally different technologies. The difference between burning a 650Meg-700Meg CD and a 4.7Gig DVD. A DVD holds roughly 6 times what a CD does, but the burners on the market are roughly 2.5-3 times more expensive.

Dave.

6. Surge1243

Surge1243 Computer Slave

Sorry to say, but dvd burner prices HAVE come down already. They used to be like $250+ for a good one, and like morris said now you can get them for a hundred bucks. I don't think they'll be going any lower anytime soon.

7. not important

not important

DVDRW prices have come down almost 50% in the last year.
    The 8X's are down under $200.
    I don't think they will get much lower.

8. Iniamyen

Iniamyen

I'm pretty sure DVD burners will be at or below $50 within a year. True, the technology is more advanced than a CD burner, but its the same technology difference between a CD-ROM and a DVD reader, and they are both around $30 now. They are a novelty now, but soon they will be just as ordinary as a CD burner. If you absolutely can't shell out $100 now, just wait a few months.

9. TwoRails

TwoRails

I did a report on data storage options in 1999. When I started my research at the time, DVD burners for the PC were $20,000 !!

Before I finished my report, which only took several weeks of "spare time," they had already come down to $15,000.

I just picked up my second personal DVD burner, the 8x TDK unit, for only $150.

I'd say they've come down already. They may come down a little more, but I wouldn't expect a big drop until the "blue-burners" come out, and then "just" 4.7GB burners will finally replace CD burners.

Just my $0.02 worth... :)

TwoRails