DVD and REV getting a code 39

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by theweeklygeek, Dec 19, 2006.

1. theweeklygeek

theweeklygeek

Win XP Pro all updates
    AMD 2200+
    1.5GB RAM

At some point between 1 week ago and three weeks ago (Thanksgiving time frame) My DVD and REV drive disappeared.
    They are in the BIOS
    They are not in "My Computer"
    They are in Device Manager with an exclamation point.
    The exclamation is a Code 39. "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing."
    The troubleshoot is of no help.
    The DVD is a -RW from Khypermedia and the REV is the 35GB model.
    I have "uninstalled" the drivers and reinstalled.
    I have removed and rebooted.
    I have searched for new drivers (they show Microsoft 2001 drivers).
    I have installed the latest Iomega software.
    I have switched IDE cables.
    I have switched IDE connections on the motherboard.
    The DVD is the Master the REV is the Slave.
    This has worked since I installed the REV back in June and the DVD is a couple of years old.
    I have disconnected power and IDE cable to one and booted to the same issue. I swapped devices and again the same issue.
    About the same time this occurred two Windows updates would not install and the boot and shutdown take 3 times longer than they did.
    The Windows Office update that won’t install is update KB919029. It is downloaded but continually fails to install. I cannot find it in the add/remove programs list (yes, I have it set up to show updates.)
    I do not know which the Windows update that won’t install is. It is trying to install during shutdown.
    Spyware, Worms, Viruses and Trojans are not an issue. Multiple scans with multiple programs show nothing.
    I have installed both devices into another computer and they work fine there.

2. rjfvillarosa

rjfvillarosa Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried slaving either of the opticals to the same IDE cable as the harddrive?

3. theweeklygeek

theweeklygeek

Code 39

No, I have not.
    A new DVD Burner by itself on a new cable on IDE 0 and IDE 1 came up with the same error.
    The hard drives do not have an error on any IDE connection.
    I have removed the slave HDD and still no change.I went ahead and made the new DVD the slave to C: and the same error occurs.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

5. theweeklygeek

theweeklygeek

MS KB article

GLC,
    How did you search to find that article. I tried using "Code 39" in various forms and looked under different way with DVD and REV errors?

That did solve the issue. I removed Nero and installed Sonic at about that time.
    Microsoft, I apologize for blaming your updates.
    GLC I greatly appreciate your time and help.