Driver Update for 1920*1080 Resolution

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Marc, May 10, 2012.

1. Marc

Marc

I just bought a new Dell ST2321L 23inch monitor and I want to set the resolution on my PC to 1920*1080. However, when I go to change the resolution settings on my Windows XP PC, that resolution is not provided as an option. The monitor documentation says in this case I need to update the graphics driver. My driver model is an SiS 651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M661MX_M741_M760_M760GX. Where can I get an updated driver (from a safe source), and what is the best way to do the update on the PC. I am not very knowledgeable on how to effectively update drivers.

2. EzyStvy

EzyStvy Computing Professor Staff Member

As a general rule - if the video card is the one that came with the Dell, you need to get the drivers from Dell.

3. Marc

Marc

EzyStvy: My PC is an HP a810n. Per your advice, I went to the HP website and looked at the drivers available for this PC. There was no updated graphics driver shown in the list of drivers for that PC.

4. glc

glc Forum Administrator Staff Member

5. Marc

Marc

GLC: Thanks for the information. That will save me time searching for an updated driver that does not exist. I just got done ordering on NewEgg the AGP card you recommended. I'm glad the card is a low cost one since I will likely be getting a new PC within the next year.

6. Marc

Marc

My video card arrived from NewEgg and I installed it in my PC. I connected my monitor to the new card and the monitor works. I tried to install the drivers from the CD that came with the video card, however, the CD had some scratches on it and it would not play. I went to the ECS website, and looked at the driver downloads available for this card. I first downloaded and tried to run the driver labeled “NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows XP 64bit”. However, when executing the program, I got the following error message:

“NVIDIA Setup Error: Setup detected that the operating system in use is not Windows XP x64 Edition. This setup program and its associated drivers are designed to run only on Windows XP x64 Edition. The installation will be terminated.”

I then downloaded and tried to run the driver labeled “NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows XP 32bit”. However, when executing this program, I got the following error message:

“NVIDIA Setup Error: The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.”

What should I do next?

7. glc

8. Marc

Marc

GLC: Just want to make sure I got your directions right...

You want me to run the file from the second link in your post, then run the file from the first link in your post? (and not run any of the files I had downloaded from the ECS website?)

9. glc

Correct. The second link is the SiS chipset drivers for your motherboard, the second is the correct Nvidia driver for your card with XP 32 bit. If the chipset drivers are not properly installed, the card may not be properly recognized.

10. Marc

Marc

Thanks GLC, the NVIDIA GeForce 6200 driver is now installed and my new monitor is working well.

However, I’m not quite sure how I did it. I’d like to understand better what happened and I’d appreciate any explanation.

I downloaded the chipset driver program and the NVIDIA driver program to separate folders within “My Documents”. Then I ran the chipset driver program and it told me it had placed the driver files in the folder C:\HP\Drivers\Chipset. It further told me to continue the driver installation process through “Device Manager”. From Device Manager, I went to “Other Devices/Video Controller (VGA Compatible)” and selected “Update Driver”. From the “Hardware Update Wizard”, I simply selected “Install the Software Automatically”. From there it searched for an extremely long time, then finally found the NVIDIA drivers and installed them. I never directed the wizard to the location of the recently placed chipset drivers, nor did I direct the wizard to the sub-folder where I had downloaded the NVIDIA driver program.

Where did the wizard find the NVIDIA drivers? Also, did the wizard install the chipset drivers? Although my monitor is working fine, I’m curious to know what happened just to better understand how the whole process of updating drivers works.

11. glc

No, the wizard found the Nvidia drivers, because you told it to update the drivers for the video controller. The chipset drivers were most likely already installed, I only had you get them just in case.