Does repair install of XP require re-activation

Discussion in 'Windows Legacy Support (XP and earlier)' started by bitTRL1000, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bitTRL1000

bitTRL1000

I just ordered and received the parts for the new PC I'm building to replace my old Dell. I put the PC together and installed Windows, but I could not get the reactivation Key to be recognized. It kept saying that I must have misspelled it or something. I assume that is because my key is already registered to my old Dell and MS won't allow it to activate my new PC.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get Windows XP activated on my new PC without have to deal with the hassle of calling MS to get a new key. I thought that I could install Windows on my new hard drive, but in my old Dell, and then activate Windows. Then put the hard drive into the new PC and do a repair install. Will this work? Will I need to re-activate Windows again?

Thanks

2. Statica

Statica

You will need to reactive Windows again. Either way, you should know that if your XP came with your old Dell as an OEM product, you cannot use it for any other computer other than the Dell. Having said that, it might work in some cases. Obviously for you it doesnt seem to be working. If you get a phone number to call MS, do it - explain the situation to them and see what they have to say. You have to realize that Microsoft just wants you to buy and use XP legally. They are not out there to prevent you from using XP appropriately - they know well enough that it would be a huge PR mistake to do so. Try giving them a call.

3. bitTRL1000

bitTRL1000

Is that because it would detect that the hardware is different from that used in the initial install? Or because XP requires activation on any install, full or repair?

Also, not sure what you mean by, "if your XP came with your old Dell as an OEM product, you cannot use it for any other computer other than the Dell. Having said that, it might work in some cases." You say that it will not work with any other computer, but then say that it might?

Thanks for the help. I just got my new gaming PC that I've been spec'ing out for almost a year now, so I'm anxious to get it up and running. I don't have a land-line, and I don't want to use all my cell-phone minutes talking with some kind lady from India, but I may have to.

4. ktkendall

ktkendall Telcom Tech

A repair installation with no hardware changes, and using the exact same copy of WinXP that the machine was loaded with originally should not require you to reactivate, but even if it does as long as you are legal it is no problem..

5. Statica

Statica

If there is a significant number of hardware changes then the you need to reactivate. Say you installed one network card, you dont need to activate. But in this case, a whole slew of hardware changes have happened, which means that you will likely need to activate.
    It means that legally, you are not allowed to use the OEM version of XP that came with your Dell PC in a non-Dell PC. It just doesnt usually activate. However, in some cases I've seen it work.

6. kev7555

kev7555 brewer, mostly...

Most times when you install XP on one machine and then try to transfer the drive to another machine, it will not boot because of the different hardware.

When he told you it is for the Dell only but it may activate he means if you install XP on the new machine it may or may not activate. The OEM Dell version will work (for thirty days) but MS may not allow you to activate it.

I had this same instance with an OEM Dell disk from my old laptop. I built a new system and Bingo! it activated on the first try. I have also had Microsoft tell me "no, this is an OEM version and is only for Dell" in another instance.

The software will install on your new machine but you may or may not be able to activate it.

-Kev

7. bitTRL1000

bitTRL1000

Thanks for the help guys. I gave MS a call, and thankfully it wasn't but a few minutes before I was up and running.